Hide Attendee Email but still Allow Anonymous Chat with Everyone

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When attendees scroll over the attendee list, email addresses show up. It should be optional for the attendee to share their email address. Either by the Organizer hiding emails or the attendees having an option to hide or share their email address. We are a HIPPAA compliant program and this feature is violating our HIPPA standards. By participating in our program, attendees are indicating they have a health condition and should remain anonymous (their first name only). It should be up to the participant if he or she would like to share an email address publicly.

A work around is to hide the attendee list (not ideal, but okay we can deal with it). BUT when the attendee list is hidden, it prohibits attendees from chatting with each other. The chat automatically changes to the attendees only being able to send messages to the organizer and/or presenter. EVEN when the option is checked to chat publicly under the Options menu at the top of the screen. Hiding the attendee list overrides the option to chat publicly. A main component of our program is participant interaction, so it is necessary for participants to be able to chat with each other. We are currently working with a workaround for the participants to change their email addresses under "preferences" (which is confusing how different this option is for a PC compared to a MAC, some tech support team members were not even aware of this difference) to a fake email address like 123@gmail.com as the field cannot be blank. No ideal. Please make this change.

11 Comments
Rick Harris1
Active Contributor
That's a very compelling reason to make this happen.  I agree.
Madi Johnson
Active Contributor
I am moving this up because I still have not received any response. The work around for a PC to chair their email address does NOT work, and no one at GTT is able to help with a work around for all participants on various PC computers. This is very frustrating. There should be an option to hide or to share email addresses, whether the participant decides or the organizer decides. It should not automatically show all email addresses. 
Steuer Haase
Same here
Is there a way to hide all the Email adresses?
Madi Johnson
Active Contributor
There is a way to hide the email addresses, but it also hides the entire attendance list as well as prohibits the participants from being able to chat with each other. When it is hidden, they are only allowed to send chats to the organizers. For us, this does not work with our program at all as a main program component is the interaction between participants. If you would like to hide the attendee list (and emails) there is an option under the "View" tab above the dashboard in the class. This what it looks like for a PC, for a Mac it might be a little bit different. 
Lara Akgul
It has been three months since last post. But i really require the email list to be hidden on attendees list. Any updates on this?
AshC
GoTo Moderator
Hello Lara,
I'm sorry there have been no changes to the GoToMeeting chat functionality.  As mentioned previously, it is possible to hide attendees, but this also restricts their ability to freely chat with one another.
If you need anonymous chat functionality, it might be useful to try an instant messaging application that each participant may install locally.

Madi Johnson
Active Contributor
That is not a good solution for them to open a second program to chat while they are in a GoToTraining or GoToWebinar meeting and would be very unprofessional on our end. There should be an option to allow them to choose if their email addresses are shared, hide the email addresses, or be able to change their email addresses (at the very least to change it to a fake account). 
Rick Harris1
Active Contributor
I agree with Madi. This is a big deal and Citrix should take these concerns more seriously.
Vital Links Adm
New Contributor
I agree. running an additional application does not seem to be the appropriate fix for an issue on a platform that should be able to address this issue of privacy and security. If there is not a way for Citrix to fix the issue, they should definitely have a notification to attendees as they join so they can make the decision to join or not to join. However, GoToTraining should have an option to hide email addresses when it affects such an important feature of the program (a feature that many choose this platform for). Might I suggest the removal of the emails all together?
Smart Bin Hire
I agree just remove the emails altogether or have an option to hide emails