Bigger Bolder Record Button

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

0 Kudos

I'd like to suggest a bigger/bolder record button, or more specifically, a "Recording in Progress" indication. This request isn't about forgetting to hit record at the beginning (I've been burned enough to not typically do this anymore, plus the auto-record feature is nice, but I prefer not to use it*), it's about being able to see that recording is actually in progress. Always, at about the 1-, 3-, or 5-minute point of the webinar, I'll have a panic moment when I can't remember if I hit the button to record. My live webinar is being displayed on a big pull-down screen in a room where my presenters are all together and we can all see the webinar in progress. I'm viewing the screen from 20ft away. Once the webinar is going, the red record button gives no indication its been depressed (for recording) and the only other indication is the small text under the Record button, "Start Recording" or "Stop Recording." If recording is underway, as you know, it says "Stop recording." From the other side of the room, looking at the projection on the big screen, I can't tell if the word is "Stop" or if it's "Start." It would be VERY helpful if the record button had a slow on/off animated "pulse" or a super bright red or maybe a dark/flat red for "not recording" and bright green for "recording," or a timer/clock indicating the length of the recording. In short, I'm asking for an EASY-to-see (from across the room), bold indication that the webinar is, in fact, actively being recorded - some sort of "Recoring in Progress" indication.

Thanks for the help and consideration.

*I do a long pre-roll of slides before the webinar begins and I prefer not to record it

12 Comments
Chris Droessler
Respected Contributor

Good thoughts dgorham98. 

The recording indicator could be a separate panel in the GTW control panel that could be torn off and placed in the corner of your screen.

Have you considered having a second laptop computer for you to monitor the webinar?  You could monitor  the recording status as well as monitor the attendees, questions, hands, etc. on the laptop and leave the main computer to just show the slides and control the audio for the attendees.  The second computer does not need to be fast and does not need a fast connection to the Internet, since it is not broadcasting the audio or video portion of the webinar.

Like you, we usually have a preshow that could last as long as 30 minutes that does not need to be in the recording.  I just always do the auto-record now and have to spend an hour editing the video afterwards. To me, that's better than forgetting to hit the record button at the right time.

GlennD
LogMeIn Manager

Hi @dgorham98

We hope to make a new recording editor available for GoToWebinar soon, you could then use the auto-record feature again and easily trim the pre-roll off.

dgorham98

Thanks for the comments.

Editing out pre-roll is certainly possible, but I don't want this time-consuming step to be the solution.

I already use a laptop to monitor the webinar as an attendee, in addition to the main "projection" computer (desktop) which I use to drive the webinar. I know what you're saying - the second computer would be much closer (under my nose) and it would therefore be MUCH easier to see the small "Start/Stop Recording" text. However, adding another laptop to an already-crowded space would be challenging - two laptops, plus the keyboard and mouse for the main computer, plus the soundboard for the various microphones I control, plus my coffee cup - there just isn't that much room in front of me. 😕

The picture doesn't adequately show my limited space (bottom/right-ish), but you can see how small the webinar control panel is and why I'm asking for a larger indication that recording is in progress.2018-10-31-webinar-Group_1000.jpg

Chris Droessler
Respected Contributor

Maybe the coffee cup has to go!  Smiley Very Happy

Seriously, what are you using to get your audio into the computer?  I'm curently using the Shure X2u.

dgorham98

Ha! Well, no - the coffee cup will never go (unless it's Margarita Friday - which, so far, is not a thing). Anyway...

I use the ProFX8 soundboard which has a USB out. I can connect any mic to the board, which feeds directly into the computer. It works very well.

dgorham98

Is this the solution (a newer/better video editor)? Not that a newer/better video editor isn't great, but in terms of what I'm looking for (a visual/active indication that recording is occurring), your suggestion adds work and time post webinar where there was none before.

I know what you're saying - using auto-record means never having to say you're sorry, but it adds extra work. Would be great to have some sort of animated indication.

Mel-SoTSA
Active Contributor

I second Bigger Bolder Record Button.  We also do a long preshow and sometimes an organizer hits record and another hits record again and turns recording off, because there is no clear graphical difference between the two this is not caught right away. Unengaged button should not be bright red! That goes against 50 plus years of recording interface design. Grey, yellow, off-white would all be better choices. And bigger please...in fact how about turning the entire interface a shade of pink when record in engaged!

Also we do a backup-screen grab (via OBS) and backup audio recording (Zoom H1) and start those well ahead of time,  so absolute disaster is avoided.

Chris Droessler
Respected Contributor

Or change the Record button to "Click to Record," and when it is actually recording, change the text to "Recording in Progress."

I really hate when you cannot tell if a button is pressed or not.

In the audio world, a red button often means something is Off, whereas in the video world, a red button often means something is On.

I hang out in both worlds, so I am often confused.

Mel-SoTSA
Active Contributor

Bring back beveled design and make it actually look like a depressed button! (very uncool nowadays where "clean" user-unfriendly GUIs are everywhere.)

What equipment has a red light off button? Amp standby or something?

Chris Droessler
Respected Contributor

I was thinking a mute button on an audio console is red when the channel is Off.