Undocked Drawing Tools - GoToWebinar

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

0 Kudos

When using a Drawing Tool (such as the spotlight) you're currently able to right click and revert back to the arrow so you can navigate within whatever document/screen you have up.  It would be IDEAL to be able to also right click and select a tool to begin with (if your cursor is in the presentation window).  If that's not possible, having the ability to undock the Drawing Tools from the Control Panel so you can move it to whichever screen you want - without bringing over the entire Control Panel - would be a huge improvement. At minimum, undocking the Drawing Tools is possible within GoToMeeting - not sure why this isn't also part of GoToWebinar.

Most people now use multiple screens from which to work - so being able to move the Drawing Tools around - or even better to be able to right click from within the presenation window and select the tool we want to use would be SO AMAZING - and should be an obvious feature.

Anyone else had issues with this?

5 Comments
Chris Droessler
Respected Contributor

That is preceisely why I do not use the drawing tools often.

I too would like the drawing tools to be a breakoff panel that I can put on the screen where I will be drawing.

Here is a workaround.

When showing a Word doc, Web page, anything that has a vertical scroll bar.  I put the document on the computer screen to my left, but let the scroll bar hang over to the screen on my right.  I am showing the screen to my left to the GoTo audience. 

I can use the drawing tools on the left monitor, but when I move the cursor back to the right screen, it automatically becomes a regular cursor, so I can scroll the pages.  Thus I can have my drawing tools and page scroller and not have to consciously switch between them.

nbryant
Visitor
Thank you so much Chris! This work around is a perfect interim solution! I use PowerPoint frequently so I’ll have to test to see if I can make this happen while in presentation mode. If not, I might think about just using PDF to present slides instead.

Again - Thank you for your solution - this has been driving me crazy.

-Tish
Chris Droessler
Respected Contributor

nbryant

My trick won't work in PowerPoint, since there is no scroll bar. 

It should work great in a PDF application.

I just cranked up a test webinar and a PDF doc in PDF Professional on a Mac. (should work the same in Adobe Acrobat)

I draw on the PDF document using the GoTo drawing tools, then I can cross to the other monitor to move the page slider to change pages, then you have to click on the top edge of the GTW control panel to continue drawing.  This eliminates lots of clicks, but you still have to click to go between programs.

The main issue is that only one program can be the focus of the computer and thus be controlled by the keyboard and mouse.  If you are using the GoTo drawing tools, then GoTo is the focus and is assigned the keyboard and mouse, when you click on the PDF doc (like to change pages), the focus changes to The PDF program, and now the keyboard and mouse are serving the PDF program, not GoTo.

Having the scroll bar hanging over to the other monitor does make this a little easier. You just have to practice and work up a rhythm.

nbryant
Visitor

Thank you so much Chris,

I tested it out myself with PDF and it worked just as you described. It does take some getting used to - but at least it's an option.

I've also found that within PowerPoint (though not ideal) there is a laser pointer function if you right click from the presentation. The 'laser' is a bit more subtle than the one in GoTo, but it works - while allowing me to at least use my arrow keys to move between slides.

Again - your help here has been the best I've received to date - with ANY program! Thank you so much.

Chris Droessler
Respected Contributor

Thanks Nbryant, I did not know about the laser pointer feature in PowerPoint.