cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Active Contributor

Audio of a presenter slowing down by 6% causing distortion

Hi, 

In three of our recent webinars we've had an issue with audio for certain presenters. 

On all three webianrs we ran the same setup, we ran the webinars as webcasts on launcher 8.36.2 build 10981 on a Dell Vostro 5468. We connected a Zoom H6 as a USB sound card to the laptop and three microphones ran through the Zoom H6. We used both wifi and an ethernet internet connection, both on high speed networks that were not under any other heavy use. 

For each of the webinars we had a live section and played a video, the audio on the video was broadcast without issue and the audio of some presenters would broadcast without a problem. For two of our presenters we experienced a distortion issue on the broadcast and the recording that slowed the voices making them sound deeper.

The problem appeared to only affect those with deeper voices and I've been unable to deliberatly replicate the problem despite it happening on three occassions. 

Does anyone know what is causing this problem and how it can be avoided? 

Thanks

Stuart

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Respected Contributor

Re: Audio of a presenter slowing down by 6% causing distortion

Try changing the sampling rate and/or the bit rate on the Zoom.  If you are recording at 48 kHz and GoTo thinks it is 44.1 kHz, you would get the symptoms you describe.

If you are not already there, I'd start with 44.1 kHz and 16 bit.  That's CD quality. No need to go higher than that, as no one will notice.

5 REPLIES 5
LogMeIn Contributor

@StuartGW  If I understand you correctly, you have several audio inputs going through the same USB converter?  Is the audio change heard during the live broadcast as well as the recording?

Active Contributor

Hi Ash,

We have three microphones that go into a USB sound card and this audio goes into the computer as a stereo sound mix.

Yes the audio change is heard through the live broadcast as well.

Thanks

Stuart
LogMeIn Contributor

@StuartGW  In that case, have you tried switching that input to something other than 'stereo' ?   Is everybody using the same type of microphone?

Respected Contributor

Try changing the sampling rate and/or the bit rate on the Zoom.  If you are recording at 48 kHz and GoTo thinks it is 44.1 kHz, you would get the symptoms you describe.

If you are not already there, I'd start with 44.1 kHz and 16 bit.  That's CD quality. No need to go higher than that, as no one will notice.

Active Contributor

Thanks both, 

I'll run some tests today but the sampling/bit rate makes sense, I didn't think to change them.

Thanks

Stuart