cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mediateca
Active Contributor

Desktop application not connecting through mobile connections

Hi, everyone,  hope you are starting off a more relaxed 2021 🙂

I am taking a few steps towards minimizing the chances of problems during events.

So I just tested if I could share my mobile connection and host a webinar through that  if my main connection fails for whatever reason.

But I the application fails to connect. My guess is that both mobile providers I tried might be blocking ports necessary for the software to connect (i`ve found somewhere a table regarding ports).

Is my assumption reasonable?

Is it a common (or known) scenario to have necessary port blocked by mobile providers?

Is there any remedy for this at the GTW software? (ISP providers are very unlikely to change this for me 🙂 )

Thanks in advance!

3 REPLIES 3
AshC
Retired GoTo Contributor

Re: Desktop application not connecting through mobile connections

@mediateca  We do not currently support hosting webinars from mobile devices, though you can present from an iPad as a staff member.  Here's an updated list for comparison:  https://support.goto.com/webinar/help/mobile-feature-comparison-g2w070004

Ash is a member of the LastPass Community Care Team.

Was your question answered? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution.
Was a post helpful or informative? Give it a Kudo!
mediateca
Active Contributor

Hi Ash, Thank you , but I think you might have misunderstood my question, I am not looking to host a webinar from a mobile device but from a Windows based PC "tethering" from a mobile phone (which would be sharing its 4G connection ¿hotspot mode?).

It seems that the application on the PC (the "windows, desktop application") is unable to connect once I switch the PC from ethernet or router-originated wifi to a mobile tethered wifi connection.

I don´ t find any local firewall or AV issue that could be causing this, and the connection is configured and checked as being "private" and not "public".

My guess is that required ports might be getting blocked by the mobile carrier, but maybe I am missing something else?

Thx

GlennD
GoTo Manager

Hi @mediateca,

For the main connection our software will use one of 3 common ports; 80, 443 or 8200. You could test your theory by tethering your PC to your phone again and then running our Connection Wizard.

Glenn is a member of the GoTo Community Care Team.

Was your question answered? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution.
Was a post helpful or informative? Give it a Kudo!.

Free new user and admin training