cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Preact_Warren
Active Contributor

MP4 video audio not heard by some attendees

Hi,

We have a recurring issue where some of our webinar delegates have reported that they can't hear our shared videos. In all cases, we've been told the live webinar audio is ok, but some attendees lose the sound as soon as we play the uploaded MP4 video. They can see the recording ok but don't hear any audio. For the majority these recordings play ok, but it's a poor experience for the others.

I'd welcome any guidance for how we can prevent this issue happening again. Many thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
6 REPLIES 6
Chris Droessler
Respected Contributor

Re: MP4 video audio not heard by some attendees

The people who can not hear the audio part of the video are probably people who are using the telephone for the audio part of the webinar.  The videos you play back during a webinar always use the computer speakers, if there are any.

The other issue could be a non-standard mp4 video format.  Since this video does not play back the same way as regular webinar audio, you might find that some computers/devices do not decode the mp4 as well as others.  We have had lots of discussions here about converting your mp4 videos to a standard format that will play back on most platforms.

Preact_Warren
Active Contributor

Thanks @Chris Droessler. In some instances, attendees have connected using the phone but not all.  Do you have any recommendations for how the MP4 is produced which might avoid this issue? We use Camtasia so there are various options for encoding but I'm not sure if these would address this issue? Many thanks. 

GlennD
GoTo Manager

Hi @Preact_Warren 

If the issue was with the recordings I think it would affect all of the attendees, not just some of them. The audio for shared videos is played through the attendees computer using its default audio settings. It is possible that these specific attendees default audio out device was muted or unavailable. 

Glenn is a member of the GoTo Community Care Team.

Was your question answered? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution.
Was a post helpful or informative? Give it a Kudo!.

Free new user and admin training
LElliott_RAND
Visitor

When you upload a MP4 video and play it (everyone's computer automatically plays it through the computer speakers. So if you're in an open office everyone will hear the webcast. If you plug-in your headset you can no longer hear the sound of the video because you have to manually change how you hear it. We don't want to tell 300 people on a line how they can hear the video.

We think it should just play no matter what people are listening through. Can this ever be resolved? 

GlennD
GoTo Manager

Hi @LElliott_RAND, welcome to the community.

That is really more of an individual attendee computer issue. When an attendee connects a headset to their computer either by USB or a traditional 1/8 jack, their computer should automatically switch to using that audio output.

For example, on my personal Windows 10 PC, I was an attendee in a webinar and dialed into the audio using my telephone. The organizer played a YouTube video using the video share feature and the audio played through my PC speakers. When I connected my USB headset the video audio switched to the headset and the GoToWebinar software gave me the option of switching from telephone to computer audio for the webinar. When I disconnected the USB headset the video audio went back to my PC speakers until I plugged in my regular headphones with a 1/8 jack, at which point the audio was then playing through those headphones.

Glenn is a member of the GoTo Community Care Team.

Was your question answered? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution.
Was a post helpful or informative? Give it a Kudo!.

Free new user and admin training