cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BernhardDöbler
New Contributor

Pipe character in field organization breaks registrants REST API

Hi,

I'm posting participants' data from my app to GoToWebinar and seemingly randomly received the result RegistrationInvalid.

It turned out this was due to the fact that the company name (field organization) contains a pipe character (|).

The response was

{
    "errorCode": "RegistrationInvalid",
    "description": "Registration request is missing one or more required fields or contains fields longer than maximum input",
    "invalidFields": ["organization"],
    "incident": "XXXXXX"
}

First issue is that the description is not helpful since my input is neither missing a field nor is the contents of my fields too long.

Secondly, the question is, what other characters are not allowed?

The documentation of the API simply says the field is expected to be a string. What are the invalid characters? Where are they documented?

Best,

Bernhard

3 REPLIES 3
AshC
Retired GoTo Contributor

Re: Pipe character in field organization breaks registrants REST API

Hi Bernhard,

Although some characters may not be acknowledged by the APIs, you'll want to send your support requests through the developer's site here:  https://developer.goto.com/support

Ash is a member of the LastPass Community Care Team.

Was your question answered? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution.
Was a post helpful or informative? Give it a Kudo!
BernhardDöbler
New Contributor

Thank you for you reply.

The developer help page you mention asks for a sample request that does not work so it can be analyzed what is wrong.

I, already,  learned the hard way that requests don't work if a field contains the pipe character. I'm interested to know what other characters break the functionality.

Is there a documentation available that tells me about illegal characters?

AshC
Retired GoTo Contributor

Technically speaking, most standard keyboard special characters should work, so I'll create a ticket for this to be looked at further.

Ash is a member of the LastPass Community Care Team.

Was your question answered? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution.
Was a post helpful or informative? Give it a Kudo!