cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Active Contributor

Sharing Video Best Practices

HI, I love the new shared video feature. It has really helped us expand to a more global webinar program.  Yesterday, I hit a snag I have not seen before.  One of our presenters had to log off and log back in during the time we were sharing the video with the audience.  He was behind in the audio - it started from the beginning.  While we were on slide 10, he was seeing and hearing slide 4.  Two audience members had similar experiences. When the video ended for me and we did Q&A, we interrupted the video mid-stream for several people.  As the organizer and main presenter, I set up a separate computer and watched the audience view.  It said the video was done playing for the audience but it wasn't.   Any best practices on how to manage this?  How do we know when it is done playing for someone in the audience?? Is Simulated Live a better option?  Will we have the same challenges?

13 REPLIES 13
LogMeIn Contributor

Re: Sharing Video Best Practices

@Webinar Chick I apologize for all those varied experiences.  You should be able to pause and start videos through your GoToWebinar control panel, and everyone should be on the same page.

Was this an MP4 video, or YouTube video? 

Did you check to see what the recording looked like afterwards?

Active Contributor

Thanks for responding.  The video I shared was an .mp4.   The video doesn't record so I always add it in post-editing.  I thought that it would be the same as a live webinar and if they joined late, they would be in the same place in the video I was but that was not the case.  Some started at the beginning when they came in and were on a different slide than I was. I was on slide 10 in the recording and they were on slide 4.  So when I ended the recording and the event, it was mid-recording for them.  Very frustrating. 

Respected Contributor

AshC

If you do not know at the time that the attendees are having this problem, how would you know to pause and restart the video?  Why would we pause and restart the video if only one person is having this problem?

I have experienced this too on my webinars.  Sometimes the extra computer I set up as a reference to let me see what attendees see is actually ahead in the video from what I am seeing on the presenter computer.  Is this a Beta Plus feature?

Active Contributor

Chris, 

Video share is no longer in Beta. It was released but you are so right.  I didn't even know there was a problem.  If you check the audience view, it just shows that you are sharing a video but it doesn't show what the video is.  We want to use the shared video to do webinar globally but want to not have the speakers repeat the same content over and over again live.  This seemed like a good solution to make the events localized. 

Frustrating...

Sharyn 

LogMeIn Contributor

@Webinar Chick @Chris Droessler  Would you folks be able to tell us exactly how you are using G2W Video Streaming, and with what devices as attendees? 

While attempting to recreate these scenarios I was unable to cause the same behavior like seeing the video start over, or having more than a 5 second delay when pausing / restarting the MP4 for my audience.  If you can provide us with some more details like the type of video you were sharing (MP4 Vs. YouTube), and if affected Attendees were on specific mobile devices, or desktop systems (Mac Vs. Windows), it would greatly help us improve this GoToWebinar feature.

Some other details that would help:

• Were you recording at the time?  (If yes, Online Vs. Local)
  • How many attendees were affected in each instance?
  • Exactly when are you playing the videos?  (how far into the broadcast)
  • Were there any staff members affected?
  • At what point was the video paused?  How many times?
  • Does the same behavior occur with every video?
Respected Contributor

I've gone back to my old way of sharing videos without using the official GoTo Video Streaming feature.

I discussed how to do it here using an external audio mixer:  https://community.logmein.com/t5/GoToWebinar-Discussions/Possible-workaround-for-Simulated-webinars-...

Here is the offiical GoTo work-around.  I have issues with this, becase you might damage your microphone routing the speaker output to the microphone. https://support.logmeininc.com/gotowebinar/help/can-i-broadcast-my-computer-audio-to-meeting-partici...

Respected Contributor

Last time I was doing this was the last two weeks in May. 

Seven days with two webinars each day.

Each webinar lasted 3 to 4 hours (AM session and PM session).

There were four to five individual presentations during each 3 to 4 hour webinar.

Various groups had a scheduled time to do a 10 minute presentation, usually accompanied by PowerPoint.  They presented from their own remote computer.

After their verbal presentation, I played their 5-minute video, which they had all gotten to me earlier. I had converted all of the non-standard videos to a standard MP4 format and had uploaded them the day before each webinar.

After the video playback, we had 10 minutes of discussion time, during which time my second screen was showing to the audience.

Then about a 15-minute break until the next presentation. The webinar and recording kept going for the entire 3 to 4 hour period.

I was presenting the webinar on a 2012 Mac PowerBook, which I had used for GoToWebinars for many years. It was connected to the corporate WiFi with upload and download speeds around 50 Mbps.

The computer was connected to a data projector as the second monitor.  This second monitor is what was feed to the GoTo audience except when someone was presenting on a remote computer.

I had a second computer set up to monitor the webinar.

Late-2014 Mac Mini with a 30" Samsung TV monitor connected via HDMI.

I was connected to the webinar as an organizer.

mic was muted. speakers muted.

Same WiFi connection.

When the videos played, I noticed that often the video on the presentation computer and the monitor computer were within five seconds of each other. 

Sometimes I would press play on the presentation computer and nothing appeared to happen, then I noticed the video playing on the monitor computer and eventually the video started playing on the presenter computer.

Sometimes the video on the monitor computer was 5 to 10 seconds ahead of the presentation computer. I thought that was odd.

All webinars were being recorded online. Each was a 3-4 hour long recording.

I never paused the videos during playback.

I had brought many of the videos into FinalCut Pro to create a standard MP4 video. Some videos that appeared to play correctly in QuickTime Player skipped the FinalCut step.  They all played well on the webinar, except one that was stretched wide on the presentation computer as well as the monitor computer, but the remote presenter said it looked fine on his computer.  It was fine in the recording.

It is possible that the encoding of the video made a difference in keeping all of the videos in sync during the webinar.  Not all MP4 videos are the same even if they appear to be.  The videos that I edited all went through the same settings in Compressor, but many of the videos did not go through my process, so might have been encoded differently.  I did not make any notes as to which videos were out of sync, I assumed it was a network latency issue and had no time to troubleshoot.

It would be fun to create some videos using different methods, bit rates, compression rates, etc. and see if that makes a difference.  Sounds like a great project, but I have no time to do it now.

Active Contributor

Ash, here are my answers in bold:

While attempting to recreate these scenarios I was unable to cause the same behavior like seeing the video start over, or having more than a 5 second delay when pausing / restarting the MP4 for my audience.  If you can provide us with some more details like the type of video you were sharing (MP4 Vs. YouTube), and if affected Attendees were on specific mobile devices, or desktop systems (Mac Vs. Windows), it would greatly help us improve this GoToWebinar feature.

I was sharing a .mp4 video which I uploaded successfully to the webinar before I went live.  The affected attendees were one attendee and one organizer that had to restart his computer after GTW kicked him out.  Both were on Mac Air Pros. 

Some other details that would help:

• Were you recording at the time?  (If yes, Online Vs. Local)  No, I knew I was doing a video share which doesn't record the video
  • How many attendees were affected in each instance? Only one instance but two attendees - one staff and one attendee- were affected that I know of.
  • Exactly when are you playing the videos?  (how far into the broadcast) about 30 sec in
  • Were there any staff members affected? Yes, one 
  • At what point was the video paused?  How many times? It was never paused
  • Does the same behavior occur with every video? No, this is the first time I have had this happen
LogMeIn Contributor

Thanks. 

We will keep testing this feature within different environments, and it is definitely a primary tool we plan to continue supporting for GoToWebinar broadcasts to come.