cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Contributor

Start vs. Start Broadcast vs. Practice Mode

Whats the difference between start and start broadcast? Do we need to be at the webinar half an hour early but I don't want the attendees to see until its time (should i open in practice mode then press start half an hour before and then start broadcast to actually begin webinar where people can see and listen?)

9 REPLIES
New Contributor

Re: Start vs. Start Broadcast vs. Practice Mode

Can someone please answer my question? I am still waiting for a reply

New Contributor

practice vs start vs start broadcast

I still have not received an answer from this post yesterday???   Whats the difference between start and start broadcast? Do we need to be at the webinar half an hour early but I don't want the attendees to see until its time (should i open in practice mode then press start half an hour before and then start broadcast to actually begin webinar where people can see and listen?
LogMeIn Manager

Re: practice vs start vs start broadcast

Hi Stephanie,

The Practice Webinar feature allows you and your panelists  to run through your webinar, without having to worry that an attendee may join and see/hear what is happening. You can practice the webinar as many times as you like before you actually start it and allow attendees to join.

When you Start your scheduled webinar, attendees will be able to join but, they will not be able to see your screen yet or hear anything. They will hear an audio message that the webinar will being shortly.

Once you are ready, you would click on Start Broadcast and share your screen, at this point you attendees will hear an audio message that the webinar had started and they would be able to see your screen and hear the conferenece call audio.

I would recommend watching our Organizer Training video here and our Present like a Pro video here for more information.

Glenn is a member of the LogMeIn Community Care Team.

Was your question answered? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution.
Was a post helpful or informative? Give it a Kudo!
New Contributor

I've had a different experience.  When I hit START, the attendees can see our screen. I learned this the hard way since I thought attendees couldn't see it until START BROADCAST, so we tested some slides prior to beginning the actual webinar. But I've been told by multiple attendees they could see us flipping through the slides and this was before hitting START BROADCAST. Can you please clarify?

Now we log on 30 minutes prior in Practice mode and run through the slides and test audio. 10 minutes before the start of the webinar, we leave the title slide up and hit START so attendees logging in early will see that slide. We hit START BROADCAST at the time the webinar is scheduled to begin.

LogMeIn Manager

Hi,

When you click on the Start option on your My Webinars page, the GoToWebinar software is launched and your attendees can start joining but, screen sharing and the conference call do not start.

2017-11-14_10-44-24.png

Your attendees see the 'waiting room' with any branding you may have added. They continue to hear a mesage letting them know that the webinar has not yet started and to remain on the line.

GoToWebinar 000.png

When you click on Start Broadcast, the audio conference begins and attendees will be able to hear any organizers or panelists that are unmuted. They will not see the Presenter's screen until it is shared.

2017-11-14_10-45-14.png

If you are in Practice mode and already sharing your screen with your panelists,  once you click on Start your screen will be visible to any attendees that join. The audio conference will not begin until you click on Start Broadcast.

When starting a webinar from Practice mode, I recommend making your first slide an informative 'house keeping' slide that attendees can read before you start the actual broadcast. You can display headshots of the panelists, any social media tags you wish them to use when sharing webinar content, the basic structure of the webinar and when Q and A will be held, etc

JHB
Active Contributor

This answer is a bit misleading. The first sentence says screen sharing (and conference call) don't begin when choosing START.  Lower down, below the graphic, it correctly states that screen sharing does activate.

When you hit START, your audience "enters" the session and they CAN see anything being shared.  You can choose not to share, in which case they still see the branding screen.  When you choose START BROADCAST, audio is then shared.  

• Practice= visuals and audio for staff only; session not open yet to attendees
  • Start = session opens, visuals on, audience show in attendee list (audio is still for staff only)
  • Start Broadcast = audio on for attendees
LogMeIn Manager

If you are clicking Start on your My Webinars page, attendees will be able to join and will see the 'waiting room' screen and will hear a message that the webinar will begin shortly. Nothing is shared automatically at this point, the Organizer needs to then click on Start Broadcast and share their screen.

If you are in Practice mode and already sharing your screen and then click Start, attendees will be able to join and they will see what you were already sharing on your screen. 

If you are in Practice mode and stop sharing your screen before you click on Start, your attendees will begin joining and they will see the 'waiting room' screen.

Highlighted
JHB
Active Contributor

I think it's the initial answer that threw us.

When you Start your scheduled webinar, attendees will be able to join but, they will not be able to see your screen yet or hear anything. They will hear an audio message that the webinar will being shortly.

But further down, when you get into more details -maybe we are saying the same thing different ways.  GoTo never shares a presenter screen automatically.  The presenter always has to allow that, no matter what phase.   

But once you hit Start, the  visual capability is "on" for attendees.

• If presenter is sharing his/her screen, it shows.
  • If not sharing screen, then the branded waiting room page displays as a placeholder.
New Contributor

Re: Start vs. Start Broadcast vs. Practice Mode

Hi Stephanie,

that's how I do it - start in practice mode, press start when ready to show screen, then press start bradcasting when ready to let attendees hear and do the actual presentation.  Works for us.