cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gmacnv
Active Contributor

Terrible PowerPoint (PPT) Embedded Video Capability

Have previously posted this problem but subsequent users added additional topics not directly related to this critical and fundamental shortfall. This string is intended to bring the focus back on LogMeIn's obvious PPT shortfall.
After numerous posts, calls and email I have never really received any official correspondence from LogMeIn addressing this issue. I'd have to give their Customer Support an "F" in performance and responsiveness. I again invite LogMeIn to contact me directly...more importantly...solve the problem like other major Webinar providers already have

Again...a short summary of the problem:

Here are three biggest problems I’ve had with LogMeIn (GoToWebinar);

1. LogMeIn  isn't compatible with one of the most basic, common and widely used business tool...PowerPoint (PPT) and its embedded video feature.
    1. Videos are too choppy and seriously distracts webinar participants away from the intended learning objective. As a result we fail to meet critical training objectives
  2. LogMeIn option to upload a limit of five videos per webinar session made the situation much worse:
    1. We generally have up to 10 -12  origional videos per webinar; LogMeIn's only five-video limit doesn’t work
    2. Had to learn and use video editing software and spend about 80 ugly hours to combine 4-6  videos into one LogMeIn video. Multiply that times 4-6 origional videos per webinar times 10 webinar
      1.      At times there were hiccups with the video editing software  which compounded the problem
    3. By combining 4-6 origional videos into one LogMeIn upload video, we were now forcing participants to mentally “track” 4-6 different topics at the same time. When the LogMeIn video ends and there is discussion, there was always some confusion as to which of the 4-6 origional videos in the one LogMeIn video are we discussing
    4. The LogMeIn uploaded video capability only offers play and stop, no rewind…therefor no opportunity to go back and view again a second time which is usually needed
  3. (My biggest problem!!) LogMeIn video upload seriously disrupted to flow of the rules presentations. Our PPT presentations…text, animation, and embedded video… are highly scripted, formatted and orchestrated between text, animation and video to achieve a high degree of audience attention, maximize participation and maximize their learning experience
    1. GoTo video upload caused us to jump between the PPT presentation and the GoTo video library.
      1.  The jumping was DISTRACTING
      2.  Jumping caused the presentations to grow much longer (not a good thing),
      3.   Jumping back and forth added time and forced me to reduce presentation content (not a good thing) to maintain time
      4. Jumping caused participants learning experience to be lowered (definitely not a good thing) and less effective

As a business solution provider, I was expecting LogMeIn to provide a simple, turn key solution. Again, PPT is a basic business tool and anyone in the business solution business should be compatible with these types of tools employed by a Customer. It's not the Customers job to make a business solution work for their business. It's the job of the provider to adjust to the needs of the Customer. 

9 REPLIES 9
Chris Droessler
Respected Contributor

Re: Terrible PowerPoint (PPT) Embedded Video Capability

... and if you do playback video embedded in a PowerPoint, the webinar Attendees do not normally hear the audio part of the video.

gmacnv
Active Contributor

Chris

Althought I didn't mention that, thats correct...no audio on the PowerPoint (PPT) embedded video. Although our Instructors comment on the video we present, I would very much also like our participants to hear the origional audio on the video as well.  GoTo is extremely bad at responding to calls for help (don't know how they stay in business). In the absence of ANY response from GoTo, I'm pushing very hard to have my organization look at other webinar providers. Why stay with a sinking ship.

gmacnv 

Chris Droessler
Respected Contributor

We are in a unique time of global Internet usage, and I don't think you will find another webinar service with better customer service. In fact, I hear complaints about the other webinar service providers more often than I do GoTo, and I hang out here a lot and have seen lots of folks lashing out at GoTo , probably because they don't have anyone else to complain to.

As far as getting audio from your computer to the webinar audience, maybe these can help:

https://support.goto.com/webinar/help/can-i-broadcast-my-computer-audio-to-meeting-participants-g2w0... 

https://community.logmein.com/t5/GoToWebinar-Discussions/How-can-I-broadcast-my-computer-audio-to-th... 

https://community.logmein.com/t5/GoToWebinar-Discussions/Broadcast-audio-from-computer/m-p/162002 

gmacnv
Active Contributor

Hey Chris

Thanks for the suggestion. As much as I would also like to fix the audio problems, my first priority-problem is to get LogMeIn to fix the PowerPoint (PPT) embedded video problem. I've been in this blog space for too long and to no avail, no one from LogMeIn is listening. So I've now resorted to finding any LogMeIn Corporate email to send my complaint directly to them in hopes that my email will find someone in LogMeIn who will solve my problem. Secondly, since its been almost impossible to get any help/resolution,  tomorrow I plan to gripe/complain (I mean that in a nice way) on Facebook hoping I can get someone interested in solving my problem. I'm running out of time, again,  and I need a solution sooner rather than later.

I've actually tested other webinar providers, in particular Zoom, and so far they and two other providers offer excellent PPT embedded video capability. I've provided that feedback to my management.

I'll have to disagree with you, I give LogMeIn customer service an "F". I've been crying for help for almost four months. At best this blog, not LogMeIn, has offered ideas on how to compensate for or work around a LogMeIn fundimental business solution shortfall.  I've heard nothing from LogMeIn. Besides, I don't think a Customer responsibility (time, money, effort) to fix a Sellers problem.

gmacnv

PSTraining
New Contributor

Completely agree with your assessment of GotoWebinar.  This past year has forced us to convert to online training entirely, and now at a national level rather than just local.  As the person responsible for the technical platform, I have spent endless hours experimenting with new hardware, new software, trying anything to make embedded videos work reasonably well during training sessions.  The 5 separate video uploads is a severe limitation.  The lack of support for embedded videos in PowerPoint is becoming a non-starter.  I saw that Logmein rolled out a Beta test of embedded video/audio support for GotoMeeting a month or so ago.  I tried that, and it seemed to work fine.  But I haven't seen or heard anything about it since, and they haven't even mentioned it in relation to GotoWebinar.  One of our instructors recently went out and bought new hardware including 4K cameras for better resolution, only to find that GotoWebinar doesn't support 4K video.  Meanwhile, I see that they are putting their software engineering resources into creating new Goto business platforms like Training, Teams, etc.  Seems they ought to get the existing platforms running properly first.

So meanwhile, I have gone back and retried Zoom, which does support embedded video and their security has greatly improved, which is a major issue for our group.  Zoom doesn't have all the features of Webinar, but it seems to have the main ones of being compatible with PowerPoint and supporting high res video.  

I sure hope someone in Logme in reads these notes and actually cares.  I know it is a major hassle to have to switch platforms, but seems to be the only answer they are pushing us towards.  Very poor business management.

Webinar Chick
Contributor

I have had to face the same issues this year, thanks to the pandemic. We have had to pivot to more online, virtual events both live streaming and via GTW, Zoom, ON24, Webinar.net, and others.   You can embed five videos in GoToWebinar in a library and you can launch them during the webinar and the quality is far better than embedding it in PowerPoint.  Have you tried that? 

Here are the steps:

• When you create your event, go to the engagement tab located at the bottom of the create webinar page.  
  • Open it - this is what you will see

GTW-engage options-videos.PNG

Choose + Videos

gtw video upload.PNG To access the video during the live webinar, go to the button where you would normally select screen share.  "Show Video" is an option - you can choose what video to play.  

GTW-show video (1).png

Choose to share the video and it will play. Caution – the presenter's audio will automatically mute. If you are talking over the video, unmute yourself first.  Also, GTW does not record any of the videos you play so you have to add them in post-editing.  

If your events are getting bigger and more complex, you can integrate with a reg and event platform like Swoogo.  They do a great job of integrating with GTW, Zoom, and others.  Think of it as a wrapper around your webinar - it has been a great find for us. 

Good luck,

Sharyn

PSTraining
New Contributor

Yes, I have used that.  But for some of our training sessions the 5 video limit is not enough.  I even thought about trying to rotate out the old ones and add new ones during the session, but only to find that you have to pre-load them before the webinar starts, so no new ones can be added.  About the only method left is to splice several videos together, stop at the end of one and wait for the next one to come up during the webinar.  A lot of work, and just really poor software engineering. 

gmacnv
Active Contributor

PSTraining

When I was doing my best to put a square peg into a round hole, to get around the 5 upload limit, I used video editing software to compile 10-15 User video clips into one LogMeIn uploaded video clip. Unfortunately that caused me to restructure all eight of my presentations, about 80 hours of rework on my part,  but at the time I was in a bind.  I hope I never have to do that again. Other than being told to spend thousands of dollars on H/W and a second  laptop to jury rig a solution, my numerous and repeated calls for help went unanswered. I finally gave up on LogMeIn and went to another, more Customer friendly vendor

gmacnv

greenshawn
Visitor

I've tried inserting video into a presentation. In general, I've watched a lot of reviews on how to do it. It turned out pretty good.