cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jan_s
New Contributor

Two Microphones in Webinar

Good day to all,

we have a Behringer U-Phoria UMC202HD in use.
For this we have two LD Systems U308 R receivers with two u308 bp microphones.

In Windows, the microphones are also both recognized and have a deflection at the level.
However, when used in GotoWebinar, only one microphone is detected at a time.
Can you help me here?
Does GotoWebinar not support two microphones?

In the audio settings, both microphones are recognized as one, which is correct because only one device can be selected as a source in Windows and in GotoWebinar.
In GotoWebinar, however, only one microphone has a level drop when speaking and in Windows both microphones work without any problems.

Thanks in advance!
Nils Jansen

5 REPLIES 5
Chris Droessler
Respected Contributor

Re: Two Microphones in Webinar

Unfortunately that Behringer U-Phoria UMC202HD is not an sound mixer.  You need a sound mixer to combine the multiple microphones into a stereo mix that you can send to your computer and then to GoTo.

Your Windows is smart enough to take inputs 1 and 2 that the Behringer is sending to your computer and pretend they are a left and right input.  But since they are not really a left and right, GoTo is seeing a mono channel 1 and ignoring mono channel 2.  I am guessing that GoTo sees only sees a stereo or mono channel 1 input.

Devices like the Behringer U-Phoria UMC202HD can make this difficult since they are not an audio mixer, but have some of the characteristics of a audio mixer.  You need to mix your multiple microphones externally before they get to the computer.

Your best bet is to get a real audio mixer with a USB output that allows you to mix multiple channels (microphones) together and sends a stereo signal through the USB to your computer.

The Behringer U-Phoria UMC202HD is designed to work with digital audio workstation software, which would have an internal mixer.

jan_s
New Contributor

Thanks for your answer

I have taken two photos of our hardware.
The two LD System devices provide two inputs, right?

I can not explain exactly why that should not work so.
So you mean the system I have can't be used for GotoWebinar?

Here are the pictures, because i could not upload them here.

https://prnt.sc/13o7vhg

https://prnt.sc/13o7wr8

Chris Droessler
Respected Contributor

Your microphones are fine.  You need a mixer to combine the two microphones to output a stereo mix to send to the computer via USB.

The Behringer you have is not a sound mixer. It is two separate microphone preamps.  It sends two separate signals to the computer via USB. There are programs that can see those two signals and allow you to mix them on the computer.  GoToWebiar does not have a built in mixer, so it does not see your channel 2.

The Behringer Xenyx Q802USB is a small mixer that could work for you to mix the two microphones and send them to the computer using USB.  GoTo will hear everything going through the mixer.  You adjust the volume of the two microphones (and other inputs) using the mixer.

jan_s
New Contributor

Thank you for your feedback.
I had opened a ticket with GoToWebinar support.
I had to give them the following information:
Error description
Email address of the organizer
Webinar ID
Operating system
Microphones used
GoToWebinar protocols

Here is the answer, in case someone else has the same problem:

Good morning Mr. Jansen,

I have inquired internally about your issue and was able to find out the following. GoToWebinar currently only supports standard USB headsets/microphones. Currently, clip-on microphones cannot be recognized properly.

As you said, they can be selected as source but the audio level is only recognized for one microphone and not for both. Unfortunately, we do not offer a workaround at this time. However, we are working to make this possible in the future.

Chris Droessler
Respected Contributor

The problem is NOT with your microphones.

Clip-on microphones are fine. I have used clip-on microphones with GoToWebinar. They can be used with GoToWebinar either directly through the microphone port, by using an audio mixer, or through a USB converter.

Getting audio into a computer via USB is a relatively new science, compared to how long I have been in the sound business.  In your case, the Behringer U-Phoria UMC202HD is the wrong device to connect multiple microphones to your computer to be used with GoToWebinar or any other virtual meeting program.  

I have a device similar to your Behringer, yet it sends 32 channels of audio via USB to my computer.  Similarly to your Behringer device, GoTo will see only channel 1 on my device.

You need a device that will mix multiple audio signals and send a "stereo mix" via USB to your computer.