cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
OTC
New Contributor

Unable to unmute attendees, Settings shows they are in listen only mode

We would like to unmute a particular attendee to ask a question, but it appears that the system will not let us do that. Caused a bit of a hiccup for our last meeting. We have several more meetings set up, and we need to have the ability for this interaction. We are on the Pro Plan. Currently on hold with support, and can not create a ticket on line anymore.

unmute.png

3 REPLIES 3
Chris Droessler
Respected Contributor

Re: Unable to unmute attendees, Settings shows they are in listen only mode

So, just to be clear:

Someone connected to the webinar.

They show up in the Attendee list in the webinar. 

Did they have an audio icon next to their name?  It should be a small microphone or telephone.

Was the audio icon gray, green or red?

Was there a diagonal slash through the icon?

When you unmuted them, did the audio icon change color?  Did the slash change?

Did you have or not have a menu item to unmute that Attendee?

What is the evidence they were in "listen only mode"?  Did they tell you that?  Or was there an indication on the Organizer's screen?

Your post shows the phone numbers for a particular webinar.

Did the Attendee use only the telephone to connect to the webinar or did they connect through a web page or the GoToWebinar app first before trying to establish an audio link?

OTC
New Contributor

You asked me more questions than the support desk did.
Their short answer is "you can't do that with a webinar anymore" ?? I know that I paid for that functionality, but the fella I chattend with seemed pretty new, and left to chat with support desk twice. (I would have just sent an email with all of this information, but it looks like online tickets aren't currently available.)

I will answer your questions in line:

Someone connected to the webinar. Yes

They show up in the Attendee list in the webinar.  Yes

Did they have an audio icon next to their name?  It should be a small microphone or telephone.
No. folks that joined by both phone and web did not show any icons (see picture below)

Was the audio icon gray, green or red?
Non-existant

Was there a diagonal slash through the icon?

See above

When you unmuted them, did the audio icon change color?  Did the slash change?

No Icon to click

Did you have or not have a menu item to unmute that Attendee?
No, there was no way to "right click" and get them unmuted

What is the evidence they were in "listen only mode"?  Did they tell you that?  Or was there an indication on the Organizer's screen?

Well, they could hear but not respond. :smileyvery-happy:
The webinar starting voice stated that "all attendees are in listen only mode" which is obviously how you want to start.
issue.png

Chris Droessler
Respected Contributor

When an Attendee joins a webinar, the first window that pops up is a window that asks them to make an audio choice between Computer Audio and Phone Audio.  (This assumes the webinar was set up so the Attendees could make a choice between computer audio and phone audio. ) Sometimes this window gets hidden behind other windows (like email, Word, Excel, etc.) if the Attendee is doing other things on the computer at the time they are joining the webinar.  They are connected to the webinar, but the webinar is waiting for them to make a choice on a window that is now hidden on their computer.  I tell them to shrink down any other windows open on their screen and see if that audio choice window is hiding in the back somewhere. Finding that window and selecting an audio choice usually fixes things.

Another thing I have these Attendees try is to go into the GoToWebinar control panel, and in the Audio section, select the No Audio option, then switch back to the Computer Audio or Phone Audio option.  This usually fixes the audio connection issue and will give them an icon next to their name and allow you to unmute them.