cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Chris Droessler
Respected Contributor

Working From Home During COVID 19

I am working from home and hosting or helping to host more GoToWebinars than usual over the past few weeks.  I am lucky to have three computers to use to get my work done.

In this picture, the laptop computer on the left is my newest computer, and this is the one that is Organizing GoToWebinars.  It is connected to the computer monitor just behind it. Anything on that "second" monitor will be shown to the GoTo Attendees.  RIght now it is running PowerPoint for a webinar.  I am also choosing who may speak (mute/unmute) on that computer.  A colleague in another location, connected as an Organizer, is working the Question panel.  She can take over in case I loose my internet connection.

The laptop computer on the far right is also logged into the webinar. I use this as my monitor to see what the Attendees see and well as look at the audio meter to know that when I am speaking that audio is being broadcast.  I am logged in to this computer as an Organizer, so I could jump to this computer if I have any problems with the computer on the left.

The iMac in the middle is where I do all my work while the webinars are happening.  I usually keep my email open in case someone is having troubles connecting to a webinar.  On occasion I will use GoToMeeting, Zoom, Skype or other service to connect to others in my organization, even while a GoToWebinar is going on on the other computer.

On the far left is a printed spreadsheet that shows the people who will be talking at various times during this webinar.  I printed the GoTo Registration report just before the webinar started,  so I can make notes as to who has a good microphone, bad background noises, or if I should expect text responses because they have no microphone.  Also some teams connected to the webinar might have two or three attending the webinar, but might have one spokesperson, which I indicate on my paper once the webinar gets going.

My wife is a teacher, and so far we have had no issues with her using Zoom or other online tools her college has to connect with her students.  We have internet in our house through the local cable company and are limited to 10 MBps upload speed.  So far we have had no issues with internet bandwidth even while having multiple online meetings occurring at the same time.

So what is your setup? 

Chris-home-setup-smallest.jpg

2 REPLIES 2
Reham

Re: Working From Home During COVID 19

I work at home
Chris Droessler
Respected Contributor

Re: Working From Home During COVID 19

I've updated my home workspace setup.

The laptop that was on the far right has moved to my far left.  I am using it with an ATEM Mini to get alternative video into the laptop that is now second from the left. That second computer is still the main computer for running GoToWebinars.

With that, I can play recorded videos within a GoToMeeting, when my GoToWebinar program is being used by someone else.

This time of the year I am editing and close captioning a lot of 5-minute videos, and that is done on the computer on the far right.  These videos are played back within GoToWebinars. I also use that computer to view my webinars during a webinar to see what the Attendees see.

That's Edgar, the giraffe, there in the middle, who helps me out with this three-ring circus and gives me someone to talk to when my mind wanders.

home-office-052820-small.jpg