Welcome to the Hamachi Community!
Active Contributor

Can't ping/ Cannot reach host/Connection Timed out [FIX]

This is something that has been bothering me for a LONG time, and there doesn't seem to be a fix anywhere on the Hamachi site. After fumbling around one last time before I resentfully would uninstall Hamachi, I found a way to fix this error I've been having with hamachi that doesn't allow me to ping or connect to anyone on my Hamachi network. It's so simple it's kind of funny, I spent many hours going through all the troubleshooting tutorials with no avail and here the solution is right under my nose.

Anyway, here's what I did. (This is for Windows 7, btw.)

1.) Go to your control  panel.

2.) Go to view network status and  tasks  (Type in search bar if not there)

3) Now you'll see you're networks, if your hamachi network already says "home network" you can stop here, this method won't work for you. But if it says something else like "Public network" or "Work network" then click whatever your hamachi network type is.

4.) Now  select "Home Network", it should start loading and configuring. (NOTE: By selecting home network, this means people on your Hamachi network can view your shared folders. Be sure you password protect your shared folders [it should pop up giving you a p-word] and only keeping people you can trust on your network).

5.) Now it should say "Home Network" for your Hamachi network type.

Now have the host of whatever server or game your playing follow these steps and hopefully this will solve your problems! It did for me!

Mods, please sticky this so people can use this as a tutorial. It's a really simple fix and I'm surprised it hasn't been found yet.  

Advisor

Re: Can't ping/ Cannot reach host/Connection Timed out [FIX]

MgenGlder wrote:

.........Now have the host of whatever server or game your playing follow these steps and hopefully this will solve your problems! It did for me!...........

This might not be the safest thing to do for gamers. What you did is change several firewall settings to let others do things that they would not be able to do if it were a Public or Work network type.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Choosing-a-network-location

Active Contributor

Yes, I know this. You're letting them into your network but they can't do much without your permission. You have to allow them into your homegroup AND you can choose which files they are able to see in your network. The network is password protected by default and I'm sure most people don't really put anything in their shared folders (I don't) so it doesn't seem to be a big deal.

Also, if you're using Hamachi I'm assuming you're playing with friends on a small server so it wouldn't hurt to actually know and trust the people you're playing with.

And I'd probably call this a temporary fix, at least until the people at Hamachi decide to fix it. I've been having this problem for months and it wasn't fixed. 

Active Contributor

I've recOmmended this method to a few people and it seems to do wonders, especially for people having trouble with minecraft servers and other game servers. If this worked for you please post so more people can see! And if not I may be able to help your case.
Contributor

mine was on public too... makes sense.. though im having problems logging onto hamachi now =\

Advisor

MgenGlder wrote:

.......Also, if you're using Hamachi I'm assuming you're playing with friends on a small server so it wouldn't hurt to actually know and trust the people you're playing with..........

I would not be concerned about the friends - their computers on the other hand :-)

As long as folks know what they are doing...

Active Contributor

I suppose, after a while of using this method there've been no side-effects and it's fixed my problem permanently. 

Advisor

MgenGlder wrote:................there've been no side-effects........... 

Glad to hear it.

Do you see any strange UPnP settings on your router? 

New Contributor

how can i do that on win8 when the network shows up as "unidentified network"? normally i just rightclick it in the charms bar, but its not possible with unidentified ones. also, there seems to be no registry entry for it. any suggestions?

New Contributor

um it didnt work for me. could you do a step by step of what to do. and please put a windoes 8 version. i try to host but it wont let my freins join. it keeps timing out