Welcome to the Hamachi Community!
New Contributor

Difficulty creating gateway VPN - Tunnel Problem Peer(s) Not Accessable via VPN

Hello,

I am trying to create a gateway Hamachi VPN between my Windows 2012 Server and a report Windows 7 Client.  I have opened ports 12975, 32976, and 17771 on both firewalls and forwarded the ports.  I am able to connect Hamachi and show a green dot over my network name, but then it says 2/5  with the error "Tunnel Problem Peer(s) Not Accessable via VPN".

The same appears on the server or the remote client.  I am unable to establish a connection.  I am not sure where to go, my trial expired and there is no support.  I don't wnat to buy until it works right.  I am concerned that it could have to do with the NIC Teaming on the server, but really don't know where to start.  If it connects to the Network name, does this mean the ports and firewall are set approprately? 

The VPN domain is listed and says the status is operational in an IP tunneling mode.  I can see the remove client online,  but cannot make a connection.  I have a SonicWall on the server side and think I have that set right.  What's the next step in troubleshooting?

MIke

New Contributor

Re: Difficulty creating gateway VPN - Tunnel Problem Peer(s) Not Accessable via VPN

It appears the Hamachi is not compatible with our Windows 2012 R2 Server using NIC Teaming as it is unable to bridge the Hamachi virtual NIC with our NIC team (creating a bridge to a bridge).
Contributor

Re: Difficulty creating gateway VPN - Tunnel Problem Peer(s) Not Accessable via VPN

I struggled with this for days....the best setup for using the gateway functionality is to build a Server2008 machine (minimal specs) and make sure that no server functions are running (i.e. DHCP, DNS, PDC, etc...).  Just the basic build.  Install and configure Hamachi on this machine - it works great.

Problems - if the machine is a domain controller, because of the IP addresses that is assigned by Hamachi (the 25.x.x.x), you will have issues with computers finding the domain controllers due to the DNS of the domain pointing to the 25.x.x.x.  This is increased in failures if you have any computers with Windows 8.0 or higher, or you have servers with 2012 or higher.

If the computer is used for anything that utilizes high CPU cycles, memory or disk access, expect that the VPN will drop when this occurs.

Highlighted
Contributor

I've experienced this too, using a server2008 machine as a gateway functionality, did work great for me. It's just a sad that you have to make sure that there's no running server functions. Thanks.