cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
New Contributor

Hide Passwords from Users

Hi there,

Our directors would like to give the ability for users to log into our eBay account but do not want them to see the password. Is there an option to hide the passwords from users but still allow them to log in with them?

Thanks
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
New Contributor

Re: Hide Passwords from Users

Fundamentally impossible.
Highlighted
Active Contributor

"jdoy37" wrote:
Hi there,

Our directors would like to give the ability for users to log into our eBay account but do not want them to see the password. Is there an option to hide the passwords from users but still allow them to log in with them?

Thanks

You have the option to hide passwords when sharing but there are ways an user can potentially view the password through advanced technique and LastPass also mentions this in their FAQ https://helpdesk.lastpass.com/sharing-4-0/#h3
Highlighted
New Contributor

"bosspublic351" wrote:
there are ways an user can potentially view the password through advanced technique

For this reason, I never tell people to use the "hide password" sharing option. This feature is just a false "promise", and the caveat isn't shown prominently enough.
Highlighted
New Contributor

I find this to be an issue as a new LasPass admin. I understand how it's impossible to control the login screen of every site but when it comes to security you either protect everything or nothing really.

By allowing certain websites like Google for example to show the blocked password that was copied over using LastPass I may as well just write down the credentials on a yellow post it note and hand it over to the user like if it was 1983.
Highlighted
New Contributor

Yes totally agree, the hide password is a waste of time when a user can the view password on websites as simple as clicking on the eye button.

For this reason I will not be subscribing to Last Pass. Which is a shame as otherwise it looked like it would be uselfull. Does anyone know of a good product or system to hide shared passwords ?

Thankyou
Highlighted
Active Contributor

If you control the browser, you can disable the option to view passwords (in Chrome, there is a policy for that).

In case you do not want to see users to view login information, it would be better to use SSO so the user’s credentials are passed over to the remote site - or some proxy service that signs in the user at the remote site.