Add option to give Yubikeys names

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have multiple YubiKeys and recently started refreshing my keys to the latest versions. While transferring my accounts to the new keys, I noticed that there is absolutely no way to differentiate them in the LastPass account management page. This lack of identifiers makes the process unnecessarily cumbersome and it should really be a trivial thing to remedy.

Most other services allow you to give each key a nickname and provide you with the date that they were added. e.g. GitHub:

Nicknames and Registration dates are usefulNicknames and Registration dates are useful

If one were to have a single one of their keys compromised in a disaster scenario (e.g. it gets stolen), being forced to resort to remove each and every key from their account and then subsequently re-add each key they wish to use would be a thoroughly infuriating process (and - if their YubiKeys are their only form of 2FA - needing completely removing all devices could essentially mean forcing them to completely disable 2FA for their account for a period of time).

3 Comments
joseortizjr
New Contributor
I currently use Yubico Yubikey for Multifactor Authentication. I own 2 Yubikeys and so does my wife. Under "Account Settings\Multifactor Options\Multifactor Authentication - Premium\Yubico" and select the option to "Edit"; in the Yubikey panel under the "Option" column, the generic key labels provided are "Yubikey #1" through "Yubikey #5". Can you please provide us with the ability to change these values to identify which key is which? My concern is that if we lose one of the keys (hence, why we have backup keys) and plus we allow each others keys to all accounts (Google, LastPass, Facebook) etc. Other accounts which use Yubikeys with allow us to "label" and identify the keys in the event we need to delete or replace a lost key. If that happened with our LassPass account, we can't tell which key to remove and replace as they are only using generic identifiers --I can't tell. Thanks and hope this is not a difficult request.
mhartry2
New Contributor

I agree. I've four Yubikeys setup with my account, 2 per laptop. Two are USB C and 2 NFC. And the only way to keep track of which is which is writing down which one is Yubikey 1, Yubikey 2, etc. as they are added to my account. Inevitably I forget where the note is and have remove the keys and re-enter them.

CryptoRES
I agree.
Every serious security people needs to keep track of their key's.

I have 3 Yubikey's, and I need to set a name for them.

I can do this everywhere, except in Lastpass.