cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GlennD
GoTo Manager

How many recovery options do you have enabled?

Hi,

Quick poll: How many recovery options do you have enabled?

Account recovery is something you hope you will never have to use, but if for some reason you are unable to correctly enter you Master Password one day you will need it. The good news is there is more than one recovery method, but you have to set them up now while you are able to sign in successfully. 

The most commonly used recovery option is through the browser extensions, but this should be seen as the last option and not the main one you rely on. This method is dependent on a special recovery one-time password that is generated when you sign-in to the extension successfully and stored in your web browser. However, if for any reason you clear your browser cache it will be deleted until you sign-in successfully again. 

Pro Tip: If you have more than one web browser on your computer, install the LastPass extension on all of them and sign-in to them multiple times, that way if your main browser loses it's recovery one-time password you have a back up option with the other browser you do not normally use.

This support article explains how to set up all of the available recovery options, if you have not gotten around to setting any up yet why not take some time now? How do I set up all account recovery options for LastPass?

Remember,  LastPass Customer Care has no knowledge of a user's Master Password. It is not possible for LastPass Customer Care to reset or change a user's Master Password if it is forgotten.

Please note if you are a LastPass Free customer:

LastPass Free customers that select mobile as their device type can still use the browser extensions for account recovery and other account settings, they just do not have access to their vault through the extension. In the same way, customers that select desktop as their device can still use the mobile app for account recovery.

Glenn is a member of the GoTo Community Care Team.

Was your question answered? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution.
Was a post helpful or informative? Give it a Kudo!
Tags (1)
41 REPLIES 41
imagodei
New Contributor

I have lost my password but I know the password hints. I can't make more than a few attempts to log in. Question is, can somebody enable me to make more log in attempts without triggering the temporary lock?

RachelO
Retired GoTo Contributor

Hi @imagodei,

If you have attempted to log in to your LastPass account with 8 unsuccessful login attempts, you will encounter a message that your account has been temporarily suspended because of too many login attempt failures.

This "soft lockout" period will last about 15 minutes, after which time you can attempt to log in to LastPass again. If you have forgotten your Master Password, you can review the available recovery options detailed in this support article: https://support.logmeininc.com/lastpass/help/recover-your-lost-master-password-lp020010

RachelO is a member of the LogMeIn Community Care Team.

Was your question answered? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution.
Was a post helpful or informative? Give it a Kudos!