Still a problem. I do not try to edit anything. I press import directly. I have not had time to try to get an example file that is not working. Sorry for that! I have over 500 passwords that I hope to import so at this point I have no clue on what is preventing the import. I am from Sweden so maybe there can be Swedish characters in descriptions or notes. No idea if that could cause problems or not. Later this week I can try to do a reduced export of my Keepass database and by that try to narrow down the problem.
Dear @EvanW ,
I might have found the root cause. It seems that everytime I try to import the incomplete passwords section in the import window it gets stuck, otherwise without those passwords LastPass imported my whole KeePass library.
As I can see I'm only missing URL-s for those passwords and it flags them as incomplete.
And if I went through those password and typed just an 'a' to the URL field of the import then they became completed and everything could be imported.
Hello @sunike98! Thanks for the info provided. I've tested this out and am not sure if I can replicate what you are seeing. I have a sample XML file with a url missing on many of the items. When I go to Import All they seem to go through as passwords without any issue. This is only for 5 or so maybe the file size is enough to make it still work. Are there any other details you can share to help me out on this?
I tested @sunike98 idea with incomplete items when missing url. I wrote a small app that went through my xml and added a dummy url to the entries that did not have one. Now when importing using the test url you provided @EvanW it works! All my 357 items was added.
I added the xml node
<String> <Key>URL</Key> <Value>dummy</Value> </String>
to the ones that did not have it
Thanks @Silverby - I'll check back with the team with the info you gave me. The uploader tool for keepass was meant to take all blank url items and force them as passwords as I know many users don't add the url to their keepass db. Will let you all know when it has been fixed on web to test it out again.
Tested my Keepass Database and still MY same issues exist. (See picture below)
The username and passwords get placed in the "Notes" field for an unknown reason.
Unfortunately Lastpass support closed my case number: 17801672 since they thought all issues were related to the empty fields issues mentioned in this topic.
I made a new Lastpass Support request (18072406) with all evidence outlined.
Based on your screenshot you are still on the old Import experience. The new one would be a page like this on the review page. We have not yet released the new import experience outside of our English Speaking users.
Ah yes you are right, i changed to the old import experience and forget to set it back. Thanks.
When changing my language back to english and using the new import experience it seems to work from the preview screen i get although im afraid to import it since i dont want to mess up my current 800+ entry's which i manually typed in 1 by 1.
TLDR: Seems to work now with the new experience. For the old experience i have a ticket with lastpass support to ask them to fix the issue.