cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
clinthmillar78
Active Contributor

Re: Important information about changes to LastPass Free

Thanks for the last pass changes.  I have a personal desktop and a personal laptop I was wondering can I use last pass free on both of these computers.  Please explain to me in more detail please.

Thanks

sambartle
Active Contributor

If they are both Windows you'll be fine as they will both count as Computers. 

LarKuch
Active Contributor

My understanding is that with the free version, starting in March, you can use it on ONE device only. You will have to choose which computer, not both. I am very sad and frustrated at this change.
sambartle
Active Contributor

I don't believe that's correct, My understanding is that you will be able to use it on one type of device only.

So either one or multiple computers or one or multiple mobile devices.

What you are loosing is the ability to sync between say a home pc, home laptop, work pc, and your mobile phone.. I would still be able to sync the first 3 if my login type is PC.. but I wouldn't be able to sync my phone as that's of type mobile.

That said I have now left and am very happy with my new password manager so I haven't looked into any further details however reading the original post it says the same as the email:

LastPass offers access across two device types - computers (including all browsers running on desktops and laptops) or mobile devices (including mobile phones, smart watches, and tablets). Beginning March 16th, 2021, LastPass Free will only include access on unlimited devices of one type.

What isn't clear is how say a ChromeOS based Laptop would be treated.. It can run the android application.. but its a laptop, so arguably would count as a computer.. but it runs the mobile application. So totally unclear.

GlennD
LogMeIn Manager

Hi,

If you use the browser on your ChromeBook it's counted as a desktop. If you run the LastPass Android app on the ChromeBook it's counted as a Mobile device. You could use the Android app on your ChromeBook and phone and tablet as they are all considered Mobile.

The limit is to a device type, not a single device.

Glenn is a member of the LogMeIn Community Care Team.

Was your question answered? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution.
Was a post helpful or informative? Give it a Kudo!
jasoncollege24
Active Contributor

@clinthmillar78 My understanding is that you can use lastpass free on one device type (eg computer, or mobile)

This means you can use LP on an unlimited number of PCs running MAC, Linux, Windows, or ChromeOS, or you can use it on an unlimited number of mobile devices, such as android devices (tablets, phones), iphone, ipad, etc. (Windows tablets are considered PCs, because they're running Windows 10)

You should be able to run this on both of your computers, but will need to upgrade to a premium service, if you want to add a mobile device to the same plan.

rjm2
Active Contributor

Re: Why is LastPass Free changing to One Device Type only?

Hi @Marc7638405
---------Begin quote
I think LP is completely aware of what they are doing. They would have looked at the statistics and know exactly how many users are already Mobile or Desktop only and unaffected, how many are Premium and unaffected and how many are Mobile+Desktop. Of those, the large majority are probably never going to upgrade to Premium without being forced to. So they took a decision to force that hand and assume that some would move to Mobile or Desktop, a lot would leave and some would upgrade. It's basically a pure positive, you loose Free users and you gain Premium users. They are probably loosing money and it's their last option short of closing the service.

I don't expect a reversal of that decision or any changes that would make it easier to remain a Free user. In fact I would expect their next move next year to limit the total number of Mobile or Desktop devices to force even more of their users to Premium. Slowly kill your Free users that cost you money and migrate as many as you can to Premium. It's a pattern they've used for 3-4 years, we shouldn't expect it to change.
End quote-------

Why do you think LastPass is losing money? Due to too many free tier users?

Just curious.

Thanks 🙂
Tags (2)
Anon112585
Active Contributor

Re: Why is LastPass Free changing to One Device Type only?

Yup, same as they did with logmein, eventually get rid of free users entirely.  But I think the bad press will hurt them a lot in the end.

I doubt that lastpass is losing money because of free users.  I wasn't aware they were losing money.

PFM-
New Contributor

Re: How about some more basic plans

Glenn:

Why not consider more basic plans for people just looking for a quality password manager without all the other "features" . Perhaps with the ability to add one person to a personal account. Like others I don't mind going (back) to a paying account but going from free to $48/yr seems high for a family of 2.

Tags (1)
LarKuch
Active Contributor

Re: How about some more basic plans

I totally agree. Midrange is manageable. Seems you can't trust software companies any more. But LastPass isn't the only one out there; just means I'll have to stretch myself a little instead of using what's familiar. But that's what they're betting on, I guess. Hard to know what they're thinking, except that it's not taking into account the end user.