cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
HealthFreak
Active Contributor

In Export - How to Unencrypt / Asks for Encryption Key twice

Hi  Why does LP ask  you to enter your Encryption Key twice - before and after entering your Master Password when exporting your data?

It exports to a text file. How to unencrypt the data?

Thanks

Tags (2)
7 REPLIES 7
RachelO
Retired LogMeIn Contributor

Re: In Export - How to Unencrypt / Asks for Encryption Key twice

Hi @HealthFreak,

Are you exporting as a LastPass Encrypted file? If so, you would need to import your LastPass encrypted file containing your Vault data back in to LastPass to unencrypt the file.

ref: https://support.logmeininc.com/lastpass/help/how-do-i-nbsp-export-my-lastpass-vault-data-as-an-encry...

RachelO is a member of the LogMeIn Community Care Team.

Was your question answered? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution.
Was a post helpful or informative? Give it a Kudos!
HealthFreak
Active Contributor

Thanks Rachel. Any idea Why does LP ask  you to enter your Encryption Key twice - before and after entering your Master Password when exporting your data?

- And why it exports as a .txt file instead of .csv?

Are these known errors in LastPass?

RachelO

Hi @HealthFreak,

You need to enter your Encryption key twice just to be sure you do not forget it, as this cannot be reset or changed. If you'd prefer to export your data to a .csv instead, please follow these steps to export to .csv: https://support.logmeininc.com/lastpass/help/how-do-i-nbsp-export-stored-data-from-lastpass-using-a-...

HealthFreak
Active Contributor

Hi Rachel thanks for your reply.

I should have clarified - as in my original question - LP ask  you to enter your Encryption Key twice - before AND after entering your Master Password when exporting your data - ie. I need to enter my Encryption Key FOUR times in total..

- Is this a technical error that LP are aware of?

Is it possible to export to a .csv encrypted file instead of a .txt file?

Thanks

RachelO

Hi @HealthFreak,

When exporting to a LastPass Encrypted file a CSV file containing your data should be downloaded in your browser, could you try this export in a different browser to see if then the .csv file is automatically downloaded? 

It is intended that you need to enter your encryption key when exporting to an Encrypted file multiple times, as noted above this is because this one-time encryption key cannot be recovered if it is forgotten. I've checked with our team and confirmed that users do need to enter and confirm your encryption key, then enter your master password, and enter and confirm your encryption key again when exporting in this manner.

HealthFreak
Active Contributor

Thanks Rachel. It downloads as an encrypted .csv file in Firefox Mac but as a .txt file in Brave Chrome Mac.

Please have them fix this issue.

Thanks

RachelO

Thanks for the information. Please be aware that Brave is not currently a supported browser for LastPass, which is most likely the reason the export wasn't working as expected in that browser.