cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lastpassangst
Active Contributor

LastPass extension crashing/slow/hanging in Chrome on Windows and macOS

Just ran the security dashboard to see old passwords, and changed one.  While doing so the browser hung, and didn't appear to let me complete.   Had to close the full chrome window, but when it came back up again the chrome extension couldn't be clicked, the pulldown wouldn't appear.  I disabled/uninstalled the extension, reinstalled, and had the same issue.  It hung as soon as it brought up the vault.  I removed all history/cookies/user data in chrome, restarted, and then reinstalled the extension after reboot.  Same issue - extension doesn't work, hangs! 

The chrome error is "Page Unresponsive - you can wait for it to become responsive or exit the page" and lists "My LastPass Vault" in the dialog box.   Chrome is latest version, 90.0.4430.212 (64-bit), on a fully patched Win10 machine (20H2, OS build 19042.985, windows update confirms fully up to date).

lastpassangst_0-1621554182367.png

Running the latest extension in Firefox has no apparent issues, this seems Chrome specific.  Any suggestions on further troubleshooting?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
RachelO
LogMeIn Contributor

Re: Lastpass extension crashing/hanging chrome

Hello everyone,

Our developers are aware of this issue that is affecting some users with the LastPass extension in Chrome and are investigating to resolve this issue as soon as possible. I have marked this as the Accepted Solution for now so that any new users to this thread will see this message right away.

EDIT: This issue has been resolved by our development team and an extension update has been released (v4.72.1) for the LastPass Chrome extension. Thank you for your patience and we apologize for the inconvenience.

RachelO is a member of the LogMeIn Community Care Team.

Was your question answered? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution.
Was a post helpful or informative? Give it a Kudos!

View solution in original post

25 REPLIES 25
lastpassangst
Active Contributor

Found a number of other posts with a similar issue.  In my case, deleting all files from C:\Users\[user]\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\databases\  and rebooting chrome did not resolve things.  Installing the extension afterwards still showed the same problem.

Uninstalling every other extension except for the LastPass one didn't fix it either.  This is getting tiresome.  I see that the LastPass extension was updated on 5/20.  Is there a way to revert to yesterday's?

lastpassangst
Active Contributor

Duplicated it on another Win10 machine in the house.  It was working fine.  Using the extension in chrome, I cleared local cache & logged out.  I logged back in, and at that point the extension stopped working.  Clicking on it again hung everything, and showed identical behavior to the first machine.  Something's hosed with this extension.

GlennD
LogMeIn Manager

Hi @lastpassangst 

So far I have not able to recreate this issue on my Windows 10 PC and Chrome. If you left click on the extension are you able to navigate to Account Options > Advanced > Clear Local Cache?

Glenn is a member of the LogMeIn Community Care Team.

Was a post helpful or informative? Give it a Kudo!
GlennD
LogMeIn Manager

After a quick review of your account you have a large number of sessions open, that may be causing sync issues with your account. If you are able to, it would be good to kill all of those active sessions. and see if that improves things.

Glenn is a member of the LogMeIn Community Care Team.

Was a post helpful or informative? Give it a Kudo!
lastpassangst
Active Contributor

Destroyed all sessions - no change.  When I open Chrome from a closed state (none running in background), Chrome comes up and the lastpass extension is initially clickable.  I click it, the pulldown menu shows, but as I am moving the mouse down to scroll to what you mentioned (clear local cache), it hangs and then stays dead.  I can click the extension icon itself, which makes the pulldown menu go away, then at that point it's totally nonresponsive.  No matter how many times I click the extension icon again, the pulldown menu doesn't show up again.  Not sure whether it's a memory leak or other incompatibility with Chrome, but it's a pretty ugly problem.  I've used Lastpass for quite awhile over many different machines, PC/Mac/IOS/Android, and this is the worst problem I've run into yet.  As of now the extension works without issue in Firefox, so I'll swap browsers in the meantime until LastPass can diagnose whatever is going on with Chrome.

lastpassangst
Active Contributor

Am working on resetting chrome to see if there was anything chrome specific that could be resolved.  One of machines did report that "This browser is managed by your organization", which was somewhat unexpected.  The other machine didn't show that, so it didn't seem to be the key issue, but I attempted to resolve it anyway.  Using google's instructions here:  https://support.google.com/chrome/a/answer/9844476?hl=en#zippy=%2Cwindows

I was able to remove that, and Chrome no longer reports managed by organization, and has no unique policies.  Basically, you delete everything: 

lastpassangst_1-1621553101804.png

lastpassangst
Active Contributor

Here's a partial screenshot of the menu being pulled down.  You can see that as I was dragging the mouse down, it got to "recently used" and marked it grey, but then at that point it locked an no matter where I dragged the mouse, it stayed grey on recently used and wouldn't allow anything to be selected:

lastpassangst_0-1621553228145.png

But clicking the extension icon closes this pulldown, and then re-clicking it brings up nothing until closing and reopening Chrome entirely (and then uninstalling/reinstalling the extension)

devlab70
New Contributor

MACOS Big Sur - same issue lastpass chrome hangs after login - cannot access any feature (vault, etc.)

Tags (1)
hammerich
Active Contributor

Same issue - seems to have started since the May 20 update of the Chrome Extension - the Chrome Web Store indicates it was updated:

Version 4.72.0 Updated 20 May 2021

Activity Monitor in macOS show the CPU is pinned under the process:

Google Chrome Helper (Renderer). 400% + utilization (and fans start to go mad)

Removing Lastpass Chrome extension and everything is back to normal

Having to revert back to Safari to use Lastpass!!

NIGHTMARE!