cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rsleonard
New Contributor

Master Password suddenly stopped working

I have Last Pass Premium. I accessed my vault through Chrome extension, on one of my computers this morning with no issues. About two hours later I attempted to log in through another computer, again through Chrome extension. It did not recognize my master password. I checked carefully that I was typing correctly, and I was...I then went back to the computer that let me in earlier this morning (which had -- appropriately -- automatically signed out of Last Pass. I tried to sign in, and again, Last Pass didn't recognize the correct password. Fortunately, I have Last Pass on my phone, set to accept Face ID, otherwise I would have been screwed (except in 24 hours my wife could have gotten via Emergency Access). 

I changed my master password (via my phone), and now have no issue accessing  my vault, either through my phone or my computers. I contacted support and they said there were no system glitches that might have caused this. This has me quite worried that the system is arbitrarily choosing to ignore my correct master password. And they could offer no explanation.  I did have them check the IP addresses that tried to access my account, and it was only the IP address associated with my home router, but it still has me worried about getting locked out of my account by a buggy system.  I would appreciate some sort of response from the Developers, but I'd also like to hear from the community if that has happened to anybody else.

Thanks, in advance.

7 REPLIES 7
Cindy62707
New Contributor

Re: Master Password suddenly stopped working

I am having the same thing happen to me today on my cell phone.  There was an option to reset the master password earlier today so I did that then tried to login with the "new" master password.  It still thinks it is wrong.  The hint is the appropriate one and matches what I am typing.  Now there is no option to reset the master password again.  And to get "help" it wants me to login first, which is the problem to begin with.  Is there a glitch going on with the LastPass program?

RachelO
LogMeIn Contributor

Hi @Cindy62707,

When logging in to LastPass at https://lastpass.com/?ac=1 what error message do you see? Please be sure that your username is in all lowercase letters when logging in, and please also be sure your master password is at least 12 characters long and a combination of upper and lower case letters, numbers and symbols.

RachelO is a member of the LogMeIn Community Care Team.

Was your question answered? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution.
Was a post helpful or informative? Give it a Kudos!
RachelB
New Contributor

Having a similar issue today.

LastPass logged me out. No big deal; it's happened before. I go to log in, and it simply will not let me. And yes - I know with 1000% certainty that I am using the correct master password and typing it correctly. I've logged in several times in the last couple of months.

Since I only have a free account, I have only used LassPass on my laptop / chrome extension. No phone, no other browsers, nada. 

Recovery is not working, either. The error message I receive is included below. 

And, since I have a free account, it seems I also cannot contact support. 

Incredibly frustrated. LastPass is apparently so safe that even I cannot access my own data. It's worked brilliantly til today. 

Screen Shot 2021-04-30 at 9.33.22 PM.png

RachelO
LogMeIn Contributor

Hi @RachelB,

When logging in to LastPass at https://lastpass.com/?ac=1 what error message do you see? Please be sure that your username is in all lowercase letters when logging in, and please also be sure your master password is at least 12 characters long and a combination of upper and lower case letters, numbers and symbols.

RachelO is a member of the LogMeIn Community Care Team.

Was your question answered? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution.
Was a post helpful or informative? Give it a Kudos!
RachelB
New Contributor

The current error message is:

"Review your login info and try again. If you think you entered valid info, check your email to verify login."

I believe this is actually a different message than I received last week, which basically said the email or password was wrong.

Confirming that I am using all lower case for my email. The password is exactly as I have it recorded, and includes upper case, lowercase, numbers, and a symbol.

m_smg
New Contributor

FWIW, I seem to be having the same problem today.

It's very frustrating that getting support requires logging in, but the thing I need support with is the fact that I can't log in.

m_smg
New Contributor

FYI, I figured out what was causing my problem.  I'd been getting emails that said:

Someone just used your master password to try to log in to your account from a device or location we didn't recognize. LastPass blocked this attempt, but you should take a closer look.

but hadn't noticed the emails.  Once I clicked the "Verify new device or location" link in the emails, I was able to log in successfully.