cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
vince_t
New Contributor

Passwordless - doesn't work with lastpass authenticator anymore?

Hi all, I've been using lastpass for a long time now. I saw this passwordless feature and decided to enabled it.

I log out from the plugin on my chrome and attempt to login again.

Screenshot 2022-06-22 at 00.12.50.png

I've blanked out my email, so clicking the button above, my mobile will have a notification and when i clicked into it.

After clicking accept i got the following error, Authentication failed.

vince_t_1-1655853392504.png

I tried disabled and reenabled the 2 factor authentication in lastpass and i still get the same error.

Any ideas how to fix this? I can still login with "Having trouble?" and then manually type in the 6 digit code, but before that i would have to restart the lastpass authenticator app as it doesn't allow me to leave that screen above even if I click reject.

Anyone else faces this issue?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JohnAUK
LastPass Contributor

Re: Passwordless - doesn't work with lastpass authenticator anymore?

Hi vince_t,

Could you try and update the LastPass Authenticator App to version 2.6.2 and let us know if that works? We released 2.6.2 late last night. If the latest version does not resolve the issue then I've sent you a message on how to send us your logs if you encounter the issue again.

Best

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
papachungo13
New Contributor

I’ve been experiencing this as well

I uninstalled the authenticator and reinstalled then restored. It worked for a short while then started displaying the “Authentication failed” message again

This happens with the Chrome plugin, the firefox plugin, the iOS and iPad OS client

as OP mentioned - getting to the 6-digit code and using that will authenticate you but the one-touch validation is broken
Braden243
LastPass Contributor

Hey everyone,

We're sorry you ran into trouble with the new Passwordless login. We are aware of the issue and actively working on a fix. Until we are able to release a fix, the workarounds you already mentioned are the best path
If you receive the error:
1. Swipe close the Authenticator app
2. Reopen the Authenticator app and copy/paste the code.

We appreciate your feedback and will post again when we have an update.

vince_t
New Contributor

Thanks Braden243, do you know roughly when this will be fixed?
JohnAUK
LastPass Contributor

Hi vince_t,

Could you try and update the LastPass Authenticator App to version 2.6.2 and let us know if that works? We released 2.6.2 late last night. If the latest version does not resolve the issue then I've sent you a message on how to send us your logs if you encounter the issue again.

Best

vince_t
New Contributor

Hello JohnAUK, this seems to be working, just tested with Chrome and I can login with proper passwordless.

All good now! Thank you.

XSA
New Contributor

I live in Australia and have been a premium user since 2013. I currently have Authenticator v2.6.0. Version 2.6.2 is not available through Google Play Store in Australia, so I cannot update.

Several days ago, I logged into my Vault (via Windows) and followed the steps to enable passwordless login via Authenticator. As part of that process, I followed the instruction to log out of my Vault. I did that. Silly me, because now I have lost all access.

When I open Authenticator (Android smartphone), it asks me to Add Account. This asks for a QR code. I don't have one, so I choose "No QR code?" This leads to a screen with three form fields: Issuer, Account Name, and Secret Key. I have no idea what any of that means, but "Issuer" seems like a reference to a credit card.

If I open the LastPass extension in a browser on my PC, it asks for an Authenticator code. I do not receive one. If I then choose "Send me an SMS passcode", I do not receive one. If I choose "Call me", no one does.

I cannot log in to the LastPass browser extension on Windows or access my Vault. I cannot turn off Authenticator. I cannot use or export my passwords (in order to switch to a different password manager). Nor can I update my payment details, which is interesting because the credit card on file has expired and the renewal is due in another month. (That's one email I did receive.)

FYI, the LastPass app itself still works on my phone. But it does not allow me to update payment details, turn off Authenticator, or export passwords.

Frankly, it's a nightmare.

JohnAUK
LastPass Contributor

Hi XSA! If you are using an Android device then the latest version in the Google Play store is 2.7.0 and this should be available in Australia as we have dialled it up to 100% WW.

In order to have enabled Passwordless for LastPass you will need to have paired your LastPass Authenticator device with your account. Therefore it seems as though the account may have been removed from your LastPass Authenticator App - Have you tried to restore your account via backup? This will need to have been enabled before the  account was removed

https://support.lastpass.com/help#lastpass-lastpass-authenticator-restore-using-cloud-backup

XSA
New Contributor

Hi JohnAUK, thanks for responding. I have updated Authenticator to 2.7.0 but it hasn't changed anything for me. When I start Authenticator and tap Add Account, it asks me to Scan QR Code. Since I don't have one, I tap No QR Code. This asks for New Account, with three fields: Issuer, Account Name and Secret Name. I don't know what to put in those fields.  I entered "lastpass" as Issuer, my email address as Account Name and made up a Secret Code. It accepted all that and now shows me 8-digit one-time codes which refresh every 30 seconds. But these codes do not work with the LastPass browser extensions. When I ask the browser to send a push notification, nothing shows up in Authenticator. When I ask for an SMS message instead, the browser extension says it sent one, but I don't receive anything.

I am not sure if this is relevant, but a couple of months ago I switched to a new phone, but the number hasn't changed. I still have the old one available and could fire it up if necessary, but I am sure I had not previously set up Authenticator. When I enabled it the other day in my Vault (when all this started), it was all new.

Currently I cannot access my account through the Vault or a browser extension. As mentioned the other day, my account subscription expires soon and the credit card details are out of date, but I have no way to update them. Like it or not, in a couple of weeks, I will have no choice but to switch to a different password manager and recreate all my passwords etc by copying them one-by-one from the LastPass app. The LastPass app on my phone still works but I don't know if I will still be able to access it once the subscription expires. So I may have to start that process soon. It promises to be drawn out and painful.

XSA
New Contributor

Hi JohnAUK, I have another update. I mentioned that I switched phones recently. Today I fired up the old phone (connecting it via my WiFi network, no SIM card) and updated Authenticator on that phone to the latest version. Bingo, that worked! I was able to log in to my browser extension and access my Vault from my PC.

But when I try to back-up to the cloud, it consistently fails. As a result, it's my understanding that I will not be able to get Authenticator working on my new phone, and therefore won't be able to use passwordless logon. (So I have now disabled passwordless logon in my Vault, switching to MFA instead.)

Anyway, I now have some breathing space before my subscription expires in a few weeks. That will give me time to play with some other password managers. I can then update my payment details (if I decide to continue with LastPass), or export my accounts/passwords to a different password manager and cancel LastPass (if I decide to switch).

Cheers!