cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Goemon
Active Contributor

Question about using LastPass in Safari on macOS

Hello,

today I wanted to install LastPass on my Mac to use it with Safari there, however first I didn't find it in the AppStore and according to a support document you have to download a Mac app from the LastPass website and install it to use LastPass with Safari on a Mac.

In the end this basically works, however now every time I open Safari the LastPass app also opens and appears in the dock and a LastPass icon appears in the menu bar.

This is of course annoying and no acceptable behaviour and I hope this is not the only "solution" right now to use LastPass with Safari on a Mac. So my question, did I just oversee a LastPass extension for Safari on the Mac? Since LastPass is available for Safari on the iPhone and iPad I at least think that it should be possible to make it available for Safari on the Mac too. Or am I doing something wrong and I can prevent this separate LastPass app from showing up when I start Safari? 

3 REPLIES 3
Goemon
Active Contributor

Re: Question about using LastPass in Safari on macOS

By now I found this support document which was posted here in similar threads:

https://support.lastpass.com/help/how-do-i-install-the-safari-app-extension-on-my-mac-lp010097

I guess this means, there really is no proper Safari extension offered through the Mac AppStore and that is why always when you open Safari this external app needs to run and shows up in the menu bar and the dock.

Is there a proper extension for Safari on the Mac in development (which as I said at least I think shouldn't be such a big deal since an extension exists for Safari on iOS and iPadOS) or is there any reason (some limitations?) why this hasn't been done yet?

I use LastPass now for more than 10 years and would like to continue to do so, but since I use a Mac now as a secondary computer and I'd like to use Safari here as my main browser I want and expect a good user experience from my password manager too and LastPass right now fails to deliver this since having LastPass show up as a running app in the dock and the menu bar every time I open Safari is getting annoying.

I noticed Bitwarden being available as a Safari extension in the Mac AppStore, I didn't plan on switching to it or even trying it, but this might be a reason for me to have a look at it.

AshC
GoTo Moderator

Hi @Goemon 

We are working on several Mac OS developments, where a new experience will be present in Safari web browsers. There's no ETA yet on delivery, but we'll update the Community as new information becomes available.

Thanks for your patience. 

Ash is a member of the GoTo Community Care Team.

Was your question answered? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution.
Was a post helpful or informative? Give it a Kudo!
Thorz
Active Contributor

The LP Safari experience feels quite obsolete compared with what is offered in Chrome. For example, many times LP doesn't fill in username/password data and you have to manually use copy/paste.