cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SLPOnline
New Contributor

"We couldn't contact the server. Check your internet connection and try again." in Chrome

I've been a LP user for a long time and when the red browser warning in Chrome started a few days ago, I searched and found a lot of people have this issue. I followed the instructions to clear cookies, log out, close the browser and it doesn't help. Neither does rebooting. (Our company uses managed services and our Windows updates are all current.) This is a Chrome-specific problem (for me). Is there a REAL solution that is long term? It's annoying as all get-out and it's making me consider changing password managers. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
RachelO
LogMeIn Contributor

Re: Just started: We couldn't contact the server. Check your internet connection and try again.

Hi @JG727,

Could you try these steps to see if it fixes this issue?

• Click the LastPass icon in your web browser toolbar.
  • Go to Account Options or click your email at the bottom of this menu > Advanced > Refresh Sites then Clear Local Cache.
  • Log out and log back in to your LastPass account.

If that doesn't work, could you try uninstalling the LastPass extension then redownloading it from here? https://lastpass.com/download/

RachelO is a member of the LogMeIn Community Care Team.

Was your question answered? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution.
Was a post helpful or informative? Give it a Kudos!

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
RachelO
LogMeIn Contributor

Re: Just started: We couldn't contact the server. Check your internet connection and try again.

Hi @SLPOnline,

Could you try uninstalling the LastPass extension then reinstalling to see if it fixes this issue? https://lastpass.com/download/ 

SLPOnline
New Contributor

That seems to work (thank you!). But how do we get the LP icon into the extension list (Chrome/top right) where all the other extension icons are? I thought it was automatic and it's checked in the settings. (in Show notifications via browser toolbar icon). It's just not there even after closing Chrome and rebooting.

SLPOnline
New Contributor

Got it. I "assumed" the extension would auto-place the icon in the extensions area. Google was my friend and all is well. This seems to have fixed the issue (at least for 12 hours!). Thanks!

JG727
New Contributor

This is happening to me as well. It just started last week. I've tried the suggested fixes and even removed/reinstalled the Lastpass extension. It's happening on multiple systems with Firefox, Opera, Edge and Chrome.

I get the same red banner with the unable to contact the server message.  One of my passwords has expired and I need to update LastPass with the new password, but it can't get through.

The regular functionality of it filling in existing passwords is working fine, it's only the password update that is having an issue. I even tried logging into the LastPass website and updating the password there, and I still get the same message.

Please help.

Thanks,

Jon

RachelO
LogMeIn Contributor

Hi @JG727,

Could you try these steps to see if it fixes this issue?

• Click the LastPass icon in your web browser toolbar.
  • Go to Account Options or click your email at the bottom of this menu > Advanced > Refresh Sites then Clear Local Cache.
  • Log out and log back in to your LastPass account.

If that doesn't work, could you try uninstalling the LastPass extension then redownloading it from here? https://lastpass.com/download/

View solution in original post

JG727
New Contributor

No luck,

In Firefox I ran through the steps you suggested - twice. Logging out of LastPass and shutting down Firefox.

No luck.

Then I removed the extension, shut down Firefox, restarted Firefox, downloaded the extension from https://lastpass.com/download/

Same results. My account is a Family Plan account if that makes any difference. As I said previously, this just started happening last week when one of my passwords expired and I needed to update it. I haven't been able to update it since.

Thanks for your help.

10-6-2021 8-42-57 AM.jpg10-6-2021 8-41-56 AM.jpg

RachelO
LogMeIn Contributor

Hello,

If those steps didn't work, could you try the steps here to "Kill all but current session", then log in to LastPass again and see if this fixes the issue? 

tperkins
New Contributor

My customer started having this same exact issue as well recently with their LastPass business subscription. They get the error message regarding the internet connection, but they have an active connection and are never signed out of the Chrome extension. They simply just click the X to get rid of the banner, but it is annoying for the end users. It seems like an issue that several people have all just started having, so I am doubtful clearing cookies, etc. is going to fix it. 

I already made sure the extension is up to date, cleared LastPass cookies, etc.

Is this something that can be escalated to a support case for me?

dvation
New Contributor

I found this thread because I'm having the exact same issue except with the Chrome extension.

I'm a premium subscriber if it's relevant.