cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Contributor

Is there a way to move multiple computers into an existing group?

HI, long time lurker, first time poster! 

I have 29 computers in the default group that need to be moved into an existing group.  The only way I see is to do it individually.  Is there a way to selct them all and then move at once?

Thanks in advance!

Casey

6 REPLIES
Regular Contributor

Re: Is there a way to move multiple computers into an existing group?

Use the web interface secure.logmein.com

In the left column, click on computers

in the middle column, you should see a listing of Groups. You should see the new group name you have created, if you have not already then do so. Click on group name.

in the right column, you should see the line with your new group name and at this point it will have 0 computers. To the far right there is an edit link. click it and the view will change and show all computers.

select what you want and click the left arrow to bring them into the new group. you can use ctrl and mouse click to select more than one.

come back to this and mark solved if this does the trick

"If my post answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution."

"At this point in time, the Internet should be regarded as an Enemy Weapons System!"
New Contributor

You must be using a totally different application, this should be an easy process but LOGMEIN make it difficult!

I cant see anything that looks like 'To the far right there is an edit link. click it and the view will change and show all computers.'

please help this should be easy.

LogMeIn Contributor

@trevr  A simple way to complete this task is to hold the CTRL key when in Chrome and selecting multiple Host computers.

Active Contributor

So after much wailing and gnashing of teeth, I found that it was better to make a new group each time you needed to move a large number of machines out of the "[Default Group]" group. This is because there does not seem to be a way to manage the group after you move a single machine to any newly created group.

So in short

1) Create a new group that mirrors the same permissions as the existing one you want to move machines to

2) Use the "edit" option on the far left of the brand new group that only appears when there are no machines in said group

3) Select all machines to move to the new group and use the arrow button to move them

4) Delete the old group that no longer has any machines in it. In turn, if this empties the "[Default Group]" group, this will hide the "[Default Group]" group .

Note: Whenever you have to create a new group to make it easy on yourself I would just add the date to the end of it.

I had to figure this out for myself after LogMeIn support said that moving multiple machines was impossible. Their software has an insanely high number of arbitrary and pointless limitations on it. Especially in the UI department. Their development team is questionable at best.

Thanks

@caseyham wrote:

HI, long time lurker, first time poster! 

I have 29 computers in the default group that need to be moved into an existing group.  The only way I see is to do it individually.  Is there a way to selct them all and then move at once?

Thanks in advance!

Casey

New Contributor

We have been having a similar issue with a lot of new computers that we have to categorize. It looks like you can now click on the group, click the eye/view button and then "Show computers in groups" and at that point an edit link shows up that does allow for mass moving of machines. Thank goodness!

Active Contributor

Just verified this on my end as well.

GOOD FIND!

I wish their UI was more intuitive.