cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Active Contributor

LogMeIn Central Broken on Chrome OS as of the Week of 7/24

Just got off the phone with tech support and was told that there was an update that went out this week, which explains why LogMeIn remote control is now broken on Chrome OS  Although Chrome OS continues to not be officially supported by LogMeIn, it has worked flawlessly for the past few years.  Unfortunately it now can't be run from within the browser on Chrome OS.

If you try to remote control a host now, you'll see a strange windowed interface that won't accept mouse or keyboard inputs, even though you can make the initial connection to the host system.

I don't understand LogMeIn's issue with supporting Chrome OS, it's had a checked past.  It was never officially supported even though LogMeIn did provide a plugin for Chrome back in 2013, but that stopped when Chrome stopped working with plugins.  Then after about six months, LogMeIn started working within the Chrome OS browser sometime in 2014, again even though it wasn't officially supported.

I realize that since it's not officially supported, there's not too much to discuss, I'm simply putting this information out there so that other Chromebook users like myself will know what's going on and not to waste any time on it. 

9 REPLIES 9
New Contributor

Re: LogMeIn Central Broken on Chrome OS as of the Week of 7/24

Thank you for your post. I can confirm having the same experience and frustrations. That toolbar showed up today and Logmein no longer works with my Chromebook browser. The same issue on my phone when using the browser.

Active Contributor

I experimented with a couple of trial Chrome Web Store extensions/apps that simluate running Internet Explorer on a Chromebook and although the login page wasn't rendered correctly and was fairly messed up, it was interesting that once I signed in, LogMeIn looked and worked just fine on my Chromebook.

To me LogMeIn's decision to not support ChromeOS is purely arbitrary as it works just fine if you can fool whatever system check is in place to see what browser/OS you're using.  This is consistent with LogMeIn's position over the last four years.  Even when the released a plugin for Chrome, they chose not to officially support it.

The support rep acted surprised that LogMeIn worked at all on ChromeOS for the past three years, almost as if it suggest I was just lucky.  Seriously?  Three years of flawless operation on an OS that went from version 35 to version 60 during that time isn't luck nor should it come as a "surprise".

My only question is how much is Microsoft paying LogMeIn to not work on ChromeOS anymore?  Smiley Happy

New Contributor

I had no idea this was an issue. I bought a chrome book primarly to use logmein. I just spoke with a tech person after being on hold for an hour. Should have searched here first.

Does anyone know if there any plans to "fix" this?

Are there any other logmein type products that work with chromebooks?

Active Contributor

The answer from the rep I spoke to is, there are no plans for them to support ChromeOS.  As I've alluded to in my previous posts, they've had a strange relationship with ChromeOS going back years.  Even when they provided a plugin to make it work on ChromeOS, it still wasn't officially supported back in 2013.  Figure that one out.

Does this mean that someday it might start magically working again on ChromeOS, one can only hope , but I'm not holding my breath.  This breakage isn't because of a change in the ChromeOS itself that they have to catch up to.  This is the result of an arbitrary change on the part LogMeIn.

If it were an issue with ChromeOS, then the extensions on the Chrome Webstore designed to mask the browser and make it look like you're running Internet Explorer wouldn't work. 

New Contributor

Any suggestions on what extensions/apps you used that might make this work?  Thank you very much.

Active Contributor

Unfortunately I never found a solution.  The Google produced agent switcher on the Chrome OS store doesn't work, nor did any of the other agent switchers I've tried.  I had to abandon using a Chromebook for LogMeIn Central and went with a Dell Windows laptop.

New Contributor

I was told straight out that Logmein had no plans to support Chromebooks.  I don't know if that's changed in the last fews months but I doubt it. When I mentioned the increased use of Chromebooks they very directly told me that it was a tiny percentage of users/PCs and basically said "tough luck"...

Active Contributor

LogMeIn never officially supported ChromeOS, but did so with a Chrome plugin for years before it finally broke. The only hope is that if and when they finally move to an HTML5 viewer that it will be more platform independent.  Of course that's been in development for a long time already and who knows when we'll see it.

New Contributor

I switched to Chrome Remote Desktop BTW another versión of Logmein used by one of my vendors stopped working because it needed a Java update to function in 2019 that versión of Java will need a paid license to work and i think Logmein will have to change how they operante or go out of Business