cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Active Contributor

Re: Remote printing - how do I turn it OFF as default

This is an example of just how much they don't care about the end user experience.  The redirecting of the Default Printer is highly disruptive but they don't care.  This is not SOLVED.  More accurately the problem I brought up is being IGNORED.  It's crazy to blatantly ignore this issue.

Active Contributor

They probably think it is no big deal - a minor setting that anyone can override if they need to.  However, it isn't.  This is what happens: Excel in Office 2016 maintains information about every available printer inside each workbook file.  Lord knows why, but it is Microsoft, and there is not much we can do about that.  I have torn apart these files in some detail.   Each printer is represented by a complex structure with all sorts of attributes and capability indicators.  The strange thing is that the "local" printer automatically provided by LogMeIn has a structure that is twice as large as that of the other printers, and, guess what - when Excel goes back and opens one of these files, it claims that the XLSX file is corrupt!

I found out a funny thing about clients: they don't like spending time entering lots of information into spreadsheets and then finding that they are corrupt.  I am not sure why that is.  They have to call me, and I unpack the file, delete the XML structure for the bogus printer, re-pack it and it is as good as new - but they have to get hold of me every time this happens.  The workaround is to set up a script to delete the dumb printer whenever they log in, before they have a chance to save any spreadsheets, but why is LogMeIn forcing me to do this?

Active Contributor

I wasn't aware of the Excel problem. This seems to offer a solution up to 2013: https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/help/829766/mailbox-and-other-printer-specific-settings-are-save...

Why do I get the feeling that's a security issue?

New Contributor

It's impossible for Logmein not to read those complains ! Please DISABLE IT !!