cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GrundleJuice
New Contributor

Can only connect to my Windows 10 machine remotely if Remote Desktop Connection is established

I have installed LogMeIn Hamachi on my work laptop and on my home NAS (both Windows 10).  I installed it on the remote machine (home NAS) via RDC (Remote Desktop Connection) and was able to connect LogMeIn Hamachi (LMIH) and transfer data without issue.  I then started a backup and closed RDC and then lost the LMIH connection.  I re-connected via RDC and the LMIH connected was restored.  I verified this happens every time without exception in my estimate of 7-10 attempts.  

I serached this forum/community and found some issues that seem to be the opposite of mine, where LMIH would DIS-connect when RDC was established, but none with a similar problem to mine.  I also found a topic posted about Windows 10 Installing over RDC would not work because it did not create all of the necessary installation, but I do not think I have that issue since I can in fact connect LMIH, just only when RDC is established.  I will not be able to do a re-install while physically at the home NAS machine for a few days.

Thanks for any help or ideas on this matter.  

Cheers

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
AshC
Retired GoTo Contributor

Re: Can only connect to my Windows 10 machine remotely if Remote Desktop Connection is established

Hi @GrundleJuice If you want to upgrade to the paid version, then Hamachi will continue running in the background as a service regardless if you are connected via RDC.

Ash is a member of the LastPass Community Care Team.

Was your question answered? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution.
Was a post helpful or informative? Give it a Kudo!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
AshC
Retired GoTo Contributor

Re: Can only connect to my Windows 10 machine remotely if Remote Desktop Connection is established

@GrundleJuice  Sorry, that does sound frustrating.

Historically when installed via RDP, and not a desktop screen sharing app such as GoToMyPC, then the Hamachi software gets stuck on the virtual desktop, and will only run when that same virtual desktop sharing session is in progress.  Hopefully this makes sense!  You'll definitely resolve the conflict if you can install when physically in front of the client.

GrundleJuice
New Contributor

@AshC wrote:

@GrundleJuice  Sorry, that does sound frustrating.

Historically when installed via RDP, and not a desktop screen sharing app such as GoToMyPC, then the Hamachi software gets stuck on the virtual desktop, and will only run when that same virtual desktop sharing session is in progress.  Hopefully this makes sense!  You'll definitely resolve the conflict if you can install when physically in front of the client.

@AshC - thanks for the quick reply.  I uninstalled Hamachi and reinstalled while physically in front of the Home NAS machine, then started Hamachi and "powered on" to connect.  I then went to work and was still only able to connect with RDC also connected, and had the same disconnect when closing RDC.  Is there something I am missing or anything else I can check?  

Thanks

Edit: I plan to bring my work laptop home this weekend so I will have bothe machines in front of me to expedite troubleshooting/configuration.  

Just some thoughts I have had sinec posting - Might I need to open and port forward a specific port or ports?  I have not configured anything in Windows Firewall or with my router, all the Hamachi Install instructions that I saw never mentioned having to do any of this.

AshC
Retired GoTo Contributor

Typically you would not have to manually open up specific ports unless there was a serious firewall in place there.

Can you specify what the affected OS is, if still unresolved?

GrundleJuice
New Contributor

Windows 10 on both machines.
AshC
Retired GoTo Contributor

Hi @GrundleJuice If you want to upgrade to the paid version, then Hamachi will continue running in the background as a service regardless if you are connected via RDC.

GrundleJuice
New Contributor

I may do that, but would still like to troubleshoot this further and figure out the issue.

Is there a logging tool in hamachi?

I should have time to mess with it this weekend