cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GeoffL
Active Contributor

Hamachi on Raspberry Pi 3B 'kills' networking

I'm trying to replace my now dead Raspberry Pi 1B with a Pi 3B+ running Raspbian (based on Linux Debian Buster). Having installed the base distro, I configured eth0 with a static IPv4 address (192.168.x.x/24) enabled the Pi's SSH server and also installed XRDP to allow SSH and RDP onto the Pi from machines on the local network. I then installed Hamachi:

$ wget https://www.vpn.net/installers/logmein-hamachi_2.1.0.203-1_armhf.deb

$ sudo logmein-hamachi_2.1.0.203-1_armhf.deb

$ sudo hamachi login

$ sudo hamachi set-nick <nickname>

$ sudo hamachi attach <logmein-account>

$ sudo do-join <gateway-network-id> <password>

All the above while logged into the Pi via SSH from another machine on the local network, from which I browsed to my Logmein account and authorised/accepted requests from the Pi.

I then configured the Hamachi network via the web interface to make the Pi the network gateway. Soon after this, I lost SSH connectivity to the Pi, RDP was a non-starter and on the local console I couldn't even ping my default gateway (i.e. the router on my local network).

Another forum has given partial help telling me that Hamachi has configured the ham-br0 bridge with interfaces eth0 and ham1 and has added the IP address of eth0 to ham-br0 (so there are now two devices with that IP address), which I'm told is an invalid configuration and the root of the problem.

So, how should Hamachi be configured, and how can I set this (e.g. which files need to be edited and how)?

Thanks for looking. All help gratefully received, Geoff

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
GeoffL
Active Contributor

Re: Hamachi on Raspberry Pi 3B 'kills' networking

Many thanks. Having rebuilt the Pi 3B+ with the latest (9th April) release of Raspbian Stretch, I can confirm that logmein-hamachi_2.1.0.203-1_armhf works fine on the 3B+ under Stretch.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
odoricof
New Contributor

It is a problem that occurs after updating to raspbian buster, even with the PI2B. Hamachi with Raspbiam Jessie also works as a gateway.

GeoffL
Active Contributor

Many thanks. Having rebuilt the Pi 3B+ with the latest (9th April) release of Raspbian Stretch, I can confirm that logmein-hamachi_2.1.0.203-1_armhf works fine on the 3B+ under Stretch.

liquidbydesign

I have also noticed that logmein-hamachi_2.1.0.203-1_armhf doesn't work correctly on Raspbian Buster.

The connection drops out and comes back up sporadically (because two interfaces have the same IP?).

After reverting to Raspian Strech everything works as it should.

I wonder if the problem is caused by an incompatibility in Hamachi or a bug in Raspbian Buster?