Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mmm-mobil
New Contributor

Re: Hamachi will not be compatible with a future version of macOS

Yes, that would be really appreciated.

There are two answers here.

Either they are not interested in supporting Mac devices in the future (which I honestly do not understand, however small, I believe there is a big enough community of Mac users that would gladly use their services in the future)

or... they have some massive problems with the development of the M1 compatible application.

Whatever the case, it would be nice to get some input on the issue from the developer team.

Thanatos_bda
Active Contributor

Hmmmm, LMI did the same nonesense with their backup product years ago.  Software builds stopped coming, then radio silence from the company for a year or two, followed by an alert that they were going to discontinue the product in a few months, which had us scrambling.  Pretty annoying and not the way to communicate to a loyal customer for years with 500 seats.  Make a god **bleep** decision and communicate it.  Don't leave your customers hanging and then have to scramble to find something else. 

JAM8691
New Contributor

I am also struggling with Hamachi on Apple Mac M1. I have an account for several years with a mix of machines (Win, Lin, Mac). I had a machine go down and had to quickly replace so I bought the M1 - it was in stock. Not Hamachi will not work. I opened a service ticket and, after 5 days, sent me a link to their standard link info web page. Here is the link: https://support.logmeininc.com/hamachi/help/whats-new-in-logmein-hamachi

Are they suggesting that there is a "critical" difference between 2.1.0.824 and 2.1.0.827?  Should I be using .824 instead of .827? I can't seem to find a link to the .824 package and it seems unlikely that they are actually suggesting this. 

Any thoughts or suggestions? I have tried all of the suggestions in this 15 page thread ... 😒

tlagrone
Active Contributor

All the latest release dates are 2019; that would indicate Hamachi is a “legacy” product.  The GoTo.com (new name for LogMeIn) web site does not list Hamachi as a product.

My 3G connection also quit this week.

tempestdata
New Contributor

I've been waiting for M1 support for a while now.  I have had a great experience with hamachi other than this lack of support for M1.

I finally decided to try an alternative in ZeroTier. It took about 30 minutes to get comfortable with it and an hour to switch all of my machines over. I am very happy with it so far.

JAM8691
New Contributor

I will have a look. I have always liked Hamachi and some of the other products. They still show it under supported products (https://support.goto.com/) but I agree that if you don't update in 2 years it appears they are walking away from the product. It would be much easier if they simply told everyone it was an obsolete product and they were ending support. Instead they give you the impression that a fix is on the way. 

Not confidence building ... should I be concerned that they do the same thing with the other products I buy from them? Maybe it is time to pull the plug on the lot of them ... 

cobi1024
New Contributor

I too have been waiting for many years. Formerly a very satisfied paying customer. Was going to keep waiting until my PC updated itself to Windows 11, and that too isn't supported.

Been a paying customer since 2015. Way to treat your customers!

LogMeIn should refund users for "service" that cannot be rendered, IMO.

rbparker
New Contributor

Re: Hamachi can't run on m1 Mac

I've got a brand new, Apple MacBook Air (2020 model with M1 processor) running the (as of now) current MacOS, Monterey 12.2.1. It was sent by my new employer who needed me to connect to their VPN via Hamachi. M1.jpg

I read every post in this thread and found the one by "tlagrone" to be the most useful but despite my best efforts (and those of several other people working for my new employer), none of us could get it to work - until this AM.

I figured I'd share what I learned here to save y'all a bit of trouble. 

First off, make sure you've got a copy of the post by "tlagrone" and follow them up to the point where you go into the Network Settings. Stop there for now as there are/might be a couple of "gotchas" that may slow you down. I'll detail these here.

tlagrone.png

Here's a copy of what my setup looked like just before I clicked the "Send Other" button to email myself the necessary files per the instructions:

LMI.jpg

The USER ID and PASSWORD data I've hidden behind the purple box is VERY important so I'd carefully copy/paste it into a text editor at this point, being sure NOT to grab any extra spaces or other invisible characters. 

At this point, I used my email client on my new machine to snag the three files/certificates that were sent to me. I'd installed MS-Outlook but for reasons I don't understand, while I could SEE all three files, two of them were greyed out and I could only download ONE of the files (see screenshot below). This was quickly fixed by forwarding said email to my PERSONAL email account that I accessed via Apple's "Mail" email client. At this point I was able to drag the three files to my DOWNLOADS folder.

Email.png

At this point, I followed "tlagrone"'s instructions with a couple exceptions.

I was NOT able to set the Access Control as indicated. I went through the motions SEVERAL times but when I went back to verify they'd "stuck", they NEVER did. Odd, but in the end it apparently did NOT matter.

The MOST IMPORTANT thing I noticed and did (after > a dozen tries at this) to make it work was be very, Very, VERY careful with the PASSWORD field. Here's what I mean...

I'd copy/pasted the account/password info from the LogMeIn page above to make entering it a lot easier. I also took care to make sure that I did NOT have any extraneous invisible characters when when I copied/pasted things as well, HOWEVER...

...after pasting in the password, it showed the appropriate number of "dots" in the password field, but when I exited that field to press the "Apply" button at the bottom of the screen, all the "dots" in the Password field disappeared!

As such, I re-entered them and pressed the "Apply" button a second time at which point they *stuck*. 

Network Settings.jpg
It is this last step where I pasted the Password field in twice that you should absolutely NOT do! I did it several times and never got things to work but on a whim, the *last* time I pasted in the password and pressed the APPLY button, the password disappeared but then I pressed the connect button and VOILA! It worked.

No idea why, doesn't make sense, but I hope this helps others.

If anyone wants to send me a six-pack of beer for my efforts I'll happily give you my address.

🙂

tlagrone
Active Contributor

I am glad you were able to get the mobile client solution up and running.

I would be interested in your experience with performance.  Most of my connections are to cellular data devices and performance is extremely limited.

I did a local network test using the Hamachi interface (Raspberry Pi to Mac) and it took 8 minutes to download a 54 Mbyte file.  Using direct connection only took a few seconds.

At last count, I believe 5 people have reported successfully setting up the mobile client on the Apple M1 Mac.  Since mobile connection is not suitable for high bandwidth applications, probably not worth developing a detailed "how to" guide with pictures.

Terry

tlagrone
Active Contributor

Update on speeds.

Mobile client speeds on M1 MacBook Air were same as iPhone at 110 KBps. (54 MB in 8 minutes)

Windows LogMeIn Hamachi on Intel machine using same file and connection was ~4000 KBps; (54 MB in 14 seconds)

Windows direct connection (no VPN) was ~9000 KBps. (54 MB in 6 seconds).