cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
New Contributor

Disable Sound Streaming

Hi

I just installed LogMeIn Free, and upon connecting to my remote computer a notification said

"Connection Alert - Remote sound is enabled. (...)"

How do I disable remote sound?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
New Contributor

Re: Disable Sound Streaming

This is a great question and an unnecessary frustration. In short, You disable remote sound by muting the LMI viewer. In the LMI menubar (the menu above your remote desktop), click the speaker icon to mute the viewer. This will disable remote sound AND return playback to the host computer.

It took me forever to find this. I spent way too much time looking through preferences (where I expected to find an Enable Remote Sound checkbox), then support, then the forums, all in vain. Eventually, I realized that muting LMI's own volume control not only muted remote playback, but also restored sound to my host.

In my opinion, this is a great feature turned into a bad design. It's smart to let the user toggle both host and remote sound with one button in the main UI. But it's also frustrating not to find the option in preferences, where users expect it. And it's downright ugly to assume that all users will want sound restored to the host just because they mute the remote window. I'm sure this has made for quite a few startling and eerie events when people unknowingly restore sound to far away host computers.

One possible solution would be a checkbox in preferences to enable remote sound, with one next to it to enable host sound. Put a button with a link graphic between them and show a broken link when the button is disabled. Or, you could polish up that giant sound dropdown menu on your beautiful menubar. In fact, if you'd like a full spec, I happen to know an out of work UI/UX designer who's available at a fair price...

View solution in original post

26 REPLIES 26
Highlighted
New Contributor

This is a great question and an unnecessary frustration. In short, You disable remote sound by muting the LMI viewer. In the LMI menubar (the menu above your remote desktop), click the speaker icon to mute the viewer. This will disable remote sound AND return playback to the host computer.

It took me forever to find this. I spent way too much time looking through preferences (where I expected to find an Enable Remote Sound checkbox), then support, then the forums, all in vain. Eventually, I realized that muting LMI's own volume control not only muted remote playback, but also restored sound to my host.

In my opinion, this is a great feature turned into a bad design. It's smart to let the user toggle both host and remote sound with one button in the main UI. But it's also frustrating not to find the option in preferences, where users expect it. And it's downright ugly to assume that all users will want sound restored to the host just because they mute the remote window. I'm sure this has made for quite a few startling and eerie events when people unknowingly restore sound to far away host computers.

One possible solution would be a checkbox in preferences to enable remote sound, with one next to it to enable host sound. Put a button with a link graphic between them and show a broken link when the button is disabled. Or, you could polish up that giant sound dropdown menu on your beautiful menubar. In fact, if you'd like a full spec, I happen to know an out of work UI/UX designer who's available at a fair price...

View solution in original post

Highlighted
New Contributor

Thanks for the help with this, VERY confusing I agree with nohano's comments about UI redesign.

Highlighted
Retired LogMeIn Contributor

Nohano- are you sure you're not a software developer? Smiley Happy

Thanks for your very specific suggestions. I'll pass this thread along to the product team. I apologize if there was some confusion.

Thanks,

Highlighted
New Contributor

I connect to computers that require that the audio not be interupted... Have sound option settings been added? I'm still on my logmein Pro trail, but need to make sure when I login to a compueter that the sound output is not interubted.

John

Highlighted
New Contributor

I have a base computer that is the origin of my Internet radio station.

I CANNOT interupt the sound. I'll lose listeners if I do.

How can I PERMANENTLY mute the sound?

Bobby Garringer

Highlighted
New Contributor

Thanks for sharing it. I spent trying to find where the option to disable it was... I was about to uninstall LMI as the remote PC was not able to use the camera's microphone when using Skype even when no LMI connection was active (other than in the background service).

This was until your post gave me the best hints. I hope this thing is at least documented as there is no mention in any user's guide. I agree that this option belongs to the Preferences tab.

PS I might be wrong but I had to disable it in both the host and the client computer to make it work.

Highlighted
New Contributor

i am having this issue and cannot figure out how to stop it.  about every 6th time i restart my computer, the voulume changes to the logmeinsoudndriver and my sound goes away.  then i need to go to system preferences of os x and change the sound to internal speakers.  seems like a very poor design.

Highlighted
New Contributor

Highlighted
New Contributor

I'm having trouble in that on my G5 Xserves, I get pop-ups saying that the .kext for sound was installed incorrectly and cannot be used. This is a minor inconvenience, having to clear two pop-ups when I log in, but it's untidy and annoying. I don't need remote sound, they are headless units acting as media stores on my network. I can use ARD to operate them from my desktop, but I've put LogMeIn as a backup to ARD, and as a solution to remote control from outside my firewall and from my mobile iOS device.

If the client could be set so as not to look for, load or use the sound extensions, that'd be cool.