cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cyoung7
Active Contributor

LogMeIn changed my screen resolution

I'm using LogMeIn to access my home PC from a remote PC that is using LogMeIn Client.  All of a sudden, LogMeIn changed my screen resolution at home to 640x480.  It used to be something like 1920x1080.  LogMeIn has moved all of my program icons, filling the screen.  And many of my applications are so compressed that they can't be used.  I've tried to follow many of your threads to change the resolution back, and only 640 shows.  Also, the display menus on my home PC are locked and cannot scroll down to where the screen resolution content is.  So I can't even change it on the home server PC.  How do I change my home PC's screen resolution back to what it was from my remote PC?  Or, via another route, how do I get the screen resolution menus to scroll so I can see the entire set of options and the APPLY icon?    Thank you so much.  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
cyoung7
Active Contributor

Re: LogMeIn changed my screen resolution

Thank you for your reply & suggestion.  Looking back on it, a year and a half ago, nothing fixed the problem that I could attempt remotely.  When I got back home, I realized two different things may have caused the problem.  First, I had the monitor powered off.  When the PC would reboot remotely, it couldn’t detect my large monitor, so it probably reverted to 640x480.  Second, I had my video card not only connected to my monitor, but also via a cable to my TV, and that may have contributed to the problem.  When I disconnected that (TV) cable and powered on the monitor, the resolution went back to what it should have been after a reboot.  So, this past January, before I left, I did several things.  I disconnected the TV cable.  I turned off all screen savers and monitor power-saver options.  And this is key, I left the monitor powered on.  In addition to all that, I also wanted to be able to remotely power down the PC and then power it back on, so I could get a clean boot if ever needed.  I used a Kasa remotely controllable plug, and modified the BIOS that if there was a power failure (i.e., when I remotely “unplugged” my PC), upon power restoration, the PC would automatically power on and boot.  And lastly, I installed a remotely controllable camera in front of the monitor so I could see what was really being displayed, if the problem should ever reappear.  The problem did not reappear with these precautions. 

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
AshC
Retired GoTo Contributor

@cyoung7  Sorry for the unexpected change!

Did you have any luck adjusting the Resolution through the Settings area?

If this failed, did you try to troubleshoot the client display any furtner?

Ash is a member of the LastPass Community Care Team.

Was your question answered? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution.
Was a post helpful or informative? Give it a Kudo!
cyoung7
Active Contributor

Thank you for your reply  AshC.  When I attempt your first solution with Display Settings, the Resolution field is just below  Advanced Scaling Settings, and the Resolution field is off my remote screen that I'm looking at, and I cannot scroll the DIsplay Settings menu to get to the Resolution field or, for that matter, get to the OK button.  The bottom line is that the menu can't scroll, and I therefore cannot get to the necessary fields.  I have the same problem with your second potential solution: I uncheck Use Display Accelerator, which is near the top of the screen, and then I cannot scroll that menu to get to the OK button at the bottom of the menu, so this solution also does not work.  Bottom line:  I cannot scroll menus.  Any other ideas?   Thank you so much!

AshC
Retired GoTo Contributor

@cyoung7  Another idea might be to visit the manufacturer website of the problem host PC, then confirm the product ID and update all available drivers before rebooting and testing again.

cyoung7
Active Contributor

My PC was a made-to-order PC.  So there is no manufacturer.  It is a collection of parts.  Also, I am very reluctant to try to update drivers when the PC that you're suggesting is 1,200 miles away.  If I updated a driver, I could cause a problem that I might not recover from while using LogMeIn remote control.  It would be completely unacceptable to no longer have remote control of the server PC if it were to hang.  One thing I can do is open a DOS command window.  Is there some command that would allow me to change the screen resolution?  And w hy don't the Display menus scroll?  Is there a way to make the scroll bar work in those system screens?  Thanks again.  

AshC
Retired GoTo Contributor

@cyoung7  In my experience, outdated drivers will often cause behavior like this.  Considering we don't have any outstanding issues that would explain what you're seeing, I would highly recommend that as your next step.

cyoung7
Active Contributor

Thank you for your reply.  After considering this for a few days, I do not want to update drivers remotely.  Too risky; I may lose control and remote access if something goes wrong.  I will look into this when I have physical access to my home PC in two months.  

mcc_controls

I am having the same issue. I cannot change the resolution to anything higher that 640x480 and it's causing big issues since now I can't even access the programs that I need to access remotely. Is there really no fix to this?

AshC
Retired GoTo Contributor

@mcc_controls   Sorry about that.  Have you tried any of the suggestions on this thread? 

Since the issue started, have there been any updates made to the problem PC?

LzlJean007

Try to switch the resolution to landscape from portrait.
Hope this helps.