cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ahebert
New Contributor

User cannot print to local printer from remote session

User is on a latop at home connected to a printer via usb and wants to be able to print from the remote session (work computer) to the usb printer (local printer). Is this possible with logmein? Does anyone have any instructions on how to do this? 

Thank you! 

10 REPLIES 10
AshC
Retired GoTo Contributor

Re: User cannot print to local printer from remote session

@ahebert  We do support remote printing in most environments:  https://www.logmein.com/pro/features/remote-printing

Based on what you've stated here, your setup should be fully compatible.

Ash is a member of the LastPass Community Care Team.

Was your question answered? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution.
Was a post helpful or informative? Give it a Kudo!
ahebert
New Contributor

@AshC wrote:

@ahebert  We do support remote printing in most environments:  https://www.logmein.com/pro/features/remote-printing

Based on what you've stated here, your setup should be fully compatible.

The user is able to print to the printer locally from the laptop at home but when trying to print from the remote session (work computer), the same printer says "error printing" and we don't know why. Also, under options where it says "remote printing" it's greyed out and won't let us check mark it. I don't know why. 

AshC
Retired GoTo Contributor

@ahebert  When this user is remotely connected, what are the default printers marked as, on the Host and Client side both?  Are they accurately showing LMI remote printer as active on the Host side?

ahebert
New Contributor

@AshC wrote:

@ahebert  When this user is remotely connected, what are the default printers marked as, on the Host and Client side both?  Are they accurately showing LMI remote printer as active on the Host side?

They are showing as default printers and they are labeled as HP LJ 4200, do they have be installed as LMI printers and  installed with a LMI driver as well?

Thank you for all of your help!

AshC
Retired GoTo Contributor

@ahebert  When you make a remote connection, at that time there should activate a LMI Remote Printer, which will also be visible in the Host Printer Driver, and marked there as the active default.  If this is not happening when you connect from another desktop, then you should probably start troubleshooting by reinstalling on the affected host PC.

ahebert
New Contributor

@AshC wrote:

@ahebert  When you make a remote connection, at that time there should activate a LMI Remote Printer, which will also be visible in the Host Printer Driver, and marked there as the active default.  If this is not happening when you connect from another desktop, then you should probably start troubleshooting by reinstalling on the affected host PC.

I just logged on a remote session via logmein to one of our clients and at the bottom right of the screen it said "now connecting to so and so printer" that means a LMI printer was connected? 

I also believe the end-user may have had an older version of the logmein client on the client computer that she was trying remoting into because when she was logged in. Under Options > remote printer it just gave a check mark box and a printer symbol with other choices (if that makes sense). By the way, I appreciate all the help!

ahebert
New Contributor

@AshC wrote:

I just remoted onto the same session i just tested with and in devices and printers ( on the client/remote session) it says so and so printer via logmein. 

It never said this on the client/remote session the end-user was logged onto. I don't know if the end-user installed the host printer wrong or what. 

It still doesn't explain why the "remote printer" check mark box was greyed out. Any reasons for that? Possibly older logmein software on the client computer? 

AshC
Retired GoTo Contributor

@ahebert  I'm not positive about that bit, but I can speak for the expected behavior:  Only when connected would the LMI Printer activate on the Host PC.  This should never change the default printer on the Client side, nor should it permanently change the Host printer once you disconnect.  Basic troubleshooting also includes rebooting the Host and Client PCs, and reinstalling LMI softwares. 

ahebert
New Contributor

@AshC wrote:

@ahebert  I'm not positive about that bit, but I can speak for the expected behavior:  Only when connected would the LMI Printer activate on the Host PC.  This should never change the default printer on the Client side, nor should it permanently change the Host printer once you disconnect.  Basic troubleshooting also includes rebooting the Host and Client PCs, and reinstalling LMI softwares. 

I tried rebooting and removing the host printer from the host computer via device manager/turning off the printer and restarting it. Nothing worked. I just wanted to get a solution for future reference and have it documented just incase. I appreciate all the help AshC! Smiley Happy