cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
To help support our community and customers during the outbreak of Coronavirus (COVID-19), LogMeIn is providing free Emergency Remote Work Kits for Health Care Providers, Educational Institutions, Municipalities, Non-Profit organizations, and current LogMeIn customers. For more information please visit https://www.gotomeeting.com/work-remote
Highlighted
Active Contributor

Logmein Rescue Firewall Rules for unprived users on a domain.

Hi, 

I have a domain environment with unpriveledged users who use an app that requires them to frequecntly "phone home" for help (the app apparently crashes a lot).  The vendor of the app uses Logmein Rescue which runs in the user space; therefore the Rescue itself does not need Admin rights, but then it tries to communicate with the vendor's tech and the Firewall warning pops up which DOES require admin rights.

Normally this is an easy issue to fix when the program path is well known, but in this case any number of users can login to the PC and then attempt to connect.  I can't think of a way to add a firewall exception for a program running from %APPDATA%\local....hmi_rescue.exe.  PLUS, I see a TMP folder name in the path so it means that there is no way to know where hmi_rescue.exe will run from ahead of time.

Can anyone help me with a solution?

Thank you!

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Retired LogMeIn Contributor

Re: Logmein Rescue Firewall Rules for unprived users on a domain.

Hey thanks for writing in!

This sounds like a tricky situation. If Rescue is able to connect make sure you are always using the "Restart Applet As System Service" option before initiating a Remote Session, so that the session itself is running at an admin level and any UAC related prompts can be handled by the tech.

I'd like to clarify what the vendor's tech is, are you referring to their operating environment or a specific piece of proprietary software they have? If it's possible to add an exception for a publsiher, you can use our publisher signature "LogMeIn Inc." and see if that helps at all. 

Send me a PM so we can discuss this further, or feel free to call in anytime. We can remote in with you and have a look at what's going on as it pertains to your case.

Have a good one!

Joe_L is a member of the LogMeIn Community Care Team. Was your question answered? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution. Was a post helpful or informative? Give it a star with the Kudos button. Need more help? Search the knowledge base or contact Customer Care.
Highlighted
Active Contributor

Hi, to clarify :

- I'm outside IT support for my client.

- my client users a program from Vendor A which is in no way related to me.

- when Vendor A's program has an issue, the user clicks the support button on Vendor A's program and it asks for a six-digit code.  Next, a browser window pops up and there is a button to download Rescue.

- The user does the download, Rescue opens but then the user is confronted with a Firewall prompt that requires the admin password.

- user calls me (I support their PCs) and I have to type in the admin password in order to allow Rescue to communicate to Vendor A's technician (who I have no contact with).

This happens every time and for every user.  As I stated above, there seems no way to add an exception forthe Rescue program which is running in the users's AppData space.

I hope that clarifies it... I'm a little baffled why this isn't a much more common issue in domain-based non-priv'd user environments.

Thanks!

Sunil

Highlighted
New Contributor

I am facing the EXACT same issue.  Was this ever solved??  Really appreciate your reply

Active Contributor

unfortunatly no Smiley Sad  I don't have that client anymore but as of when I last supported them there was no solution.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Highlighted
LogMeIn Contributor

If you have already checked the Rescue Firewall Guide, can you specify what security app is causing this behavior? 

Highlighted
New Contributor

LogMeIn uses cookies and other technologies to not only ensure the proper functionality of our websites TelltheBell