I started receiving this error using the Android LogMeIn app on my S5 running Andoid 6.0.1 recently. Had worked fine for many months. Date and time is set correctly. I do live in AZ where we never change our clocks for DLS. Seems this issue may have began around the time DLS time ended a few weeks ago but am not sure that has anything to do with it. Any ideas?
I'm having that exact issue in Idaho, I don't think it is related to DST. I have tried uninstalling/reinstalling the app, clearing app cache and clearing system cache with the app uninstalled and then reinstalling the app. Nothing has helped so far.
the only change I have made lately is to enable two step authentication.
I don't think that will work for me as I have 50 or more computers spread across the country.
On my phone I can't even get to the point where I see the list of computers and I am never prompted for login or password. It's as if the app really can't see the internet to even start the login process.
I have the same problem on my Samsung S6 with 6.0.1. Don't know for sure but it could have started at the last system update. Tried deleting app and re-installing and removing the computers from my account and adding them back. Still not resolved.
I had restricted background data for some of the google play and/or google services applications in an attempt to minimize data and battery usage by google. This apparently broke the logmein app and a few other apps. When I reenabled background data and reinstalled the logmein app it worked.
It irks me that I have to let google have unfettered access to my phone and my data for this application to work but I guess that's the way things are. Logmein must be dependant on some google service that needs constant internet and/or location informatoin to function. I assume they are monitoring my location for their marketing purposes.