Welcome to the LogMeIn Rescue Community!
Welcome to the LogMeIn Rescue Community
Highlighted
New Contributor
Accepted Solution

Connect on LAN issues

Hi all

We recently replaced our old 2003 domain controllers with new 2012 R2 servers. Prior to this upgrade, my helpdesk colleagues regularly used the Connect on LAN feature to locate clients on our subnets. Since the new servers were installed though, what they're now finding is that they can only see clients on the same subnet as their own workstation.

I note that on page 31 of rescue_tech_console_userguide.pdf it says the Connect on LAN feature requires NetBIOS to function correctly. I have checked that NetBIOS over TCP/IP is enabled on the new 2012 domain controller in each subnet, and also confirmed with a port scanner that I can see each server listening on port 139. Windows firewall is disabled on all servers and clients.

Is it also necessary to set up a WINS server on our network, or is there something else I'm missing?

thanks

Danny

LogMeIn Contributor
LogMeIn Contributor

Re: Connect on LAN issues

Hello dannyboy75!

Thank you for your feedback!

If all of the requirements are set from the rescue_tech_console_userguide.pdf on page 30-31, then the Rescue Tech Console should discover all of the network devices in the Connect on Lan list that you can find in the actual PC's Windows Network's list.

I kindly ask you to contact our support if the two lists are not same.

Regards,

Sandor

New Contributor

Re: Connect on LAN issues

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

I have resolved the issue now. For the benefit of anyone else upgrading their Domain Controllers from 2003 to 2008/2012/2016, the Computer Browser service is disabled by default in these newer OS's. Starting this service allowed our LMI Rescue users to use the Connect on LAN feature once again.

Danny