cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Active Contributor

Re: Disable Quick Reminder to Change Master Password

Glenn, if I may. Could you please make the team aware of my objection to the whole strategy of this?

What is the point in changing passwords for a product such as this? It goes completely against the core philosophy of the service and it goes against well known habits of people (choosing simpler passwords if they have to change it regularly).

I take the liberty to point you to this: https://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2010/11/changing_passwo.html

Highlighted
New Contributor

I have carefully avoided checking [CHANGE NOW] by mistake.

I do not want to change my master password.

Does anyone know what happens if you select [CHANGE NOW] by mistake?

Are your forced to change our master password?

Can you undo the selection and keep your current password?

And finally:

If I log in LastPass, select [Later], change my iterations number from the default 100,100 to 100,101 (or something like that), and log out of LastPass:

Does my current master password stay the same?

Can I log back in on LastPass with my current master password?

Does the change master password reminder still appear?

Is there anything unsafe or problematic about changing the iteration number like I have described?

I want to make sure there are no problems if I change the iteration number as described above.

Thanks.

Highlighted
LogMeIn Manager

Hi @James1964,

You are not required to change you Master Password unless you are part of a Teams or Enterprise plan and your Admin sets it as a policy. If you do change your Master Password for any reason you can revert your account back to the previous Master Password as long as it has not been more than 30 days. Changing your iterations does not make you change your Master Password https://support.logmeininc.com/lastpass/help/about-password-iterations-lp030027

Glenn is a member of the LogMeIn Community Care Team.

Was your question answered? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution.
Was a post helpful or informative? Give it a Kudo!
Highlighted
New Contributor

GlenD,

Many thanks.

Can you confirm that after I change my iterations number and log in again to LastPass,  change master password reminder with [LATER] and [CHANGE NOW] will no longer appear?

Please give me this confirmation.

James1964

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

As I explained in an earlier post, since password iteration modifications force a vault reencryption, it shows up as a password change.
Highlighted
New Contributor

Thanks  from James1964

Everything worked.

I logged into LastPass with my current master password, with the reminder showing when I logged in. I  did not select [CHANGE NOW]

I changed my iteration number, entered my current LastPass master password to update the  iteration change, and the vault re-encrypted.

I logged into LastPass again using my current password.  THE CHANGE MASTER PASSWORD REMINDER DID NOT APPEAR AND NO LONGER APPEARS WHEN I LOG IN TO LAST PASS.

LastPass is working fine.

I have these additional questions:

1.    Assuming I do not change my current master password, how long will it be before LastPass makes this message appear again? 

2.   If I had selected [CHANGE NOW], e.g., by mistake, what would have happened?

For example, would I have been required to change my master password or would I have been permitted to change my mind and not change my master password?

Thank you for your help.

Highlighted
LogMeIn Manager

It should be 3 months or so before you would see a suggestion to change you master password, however, it will most likely be discontinued before then.

Highlighted
New Contributor

Thanks from James1964.

I certainly hope that LastPass discontinues using this master password change reminder. it is not only an annoyance but encourages creating simple master passwords in place of a current long and secure master password that has been created after much thought about security.

Now, please answer my second question, which is very important if this reminder suddenly appears again:

If I had selected [CHANGE NOW], e.g., by mistake, what would have happened?

For example, would I have been required to change my master password or would I have been permitted to change my mind and not change my master password?

Thank you for your help.

James1964

Highlighted
LogMeIn Manager

Hi James1964,

Nothing, you have to follow all of the additional steps after that of entering a new Master Password (twice) etc and submitting the change.

Highlighted
New Contributor

I was getting the nag from LP on my laptop computer for the past week. But on my desktop computer no such nag. I thought this was strange.

Nevertheless, this morning I broke down and changed my master password. I wrote down the new pw. I was able to re-login, of course. But 3 hours later I could not login!!! Lastpass insisted I had not used the correct password. I tried the old one. Also wrong.

I did not have a OTP (one-time password). So the only hope was to revert - LP says I have 30 days to revert. But when I followed their steps for reversion, it tells me there is no history of a recent change!!!

So far their tech support has not been able to help.