cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
New Contributor

Re: Disable Quick Reminder to Change Master Password

FWIW, I fully agree with the need to disable that nagging about master password changes. This is poorly thought through and actually makes it less secure. In addition to that, I really resent being reminded about it every time.
Highlighted
Active Contributor

I agree completely. This came out of the blue and is really annoying.

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

You should contact your Teams or Enterprise administrator and discuss your concerns with them. As a LogMeIn representative stated, this is a policy that they set, and does not apply to personal accounts.

If you want a workaround, change your password iterations to a different value.
Highlighted
Active Contributor

I am not a member of a Team or Enterprise, just a lowly individual user so what the LogMeIn representative stated earlier is not correct in my case. I have used Lastpass for a long time and this started very recently. The software worked well previously, but I guess idle hands, etc....

Highlighted
Active Contributor

He was wrong. On a personal account too and that requester came up anyway.
Highlighted
Active Contributor

Brilliant, changing the iterations (100100 to 100101) worked for me, no more nagging, thanks for finding this. Now all they have to fix is the vault opening every time I login, whether selected or not.

Highlighted
Active Contributor

I also noticed the vault launching every time I logged in from within my Chrome browser. This never happened before and it just further adds to the aggravation of using LastPass. As for the “workaround,” I don’t feel very comfortable using workarounds in a software this critical. This new “feature” should be controlled through a preference setting. This new behavior combined with the vault-launching issue indicate the developers are doing things that are counter to the idea of a productivity application (intentionally or accidentally?). Let’s see if they clean this up quickly. If not, I may re-think my use of this app.
Highlighted
New Contributor

To David768

Thanks for your reply.

I have a LastPass premier account.

Today (September 27,2020), each of the several times that I have I logged in to LastPass on my Google Chrome LastPass extension, (1) the password reminder notice did not appear (because I had changed my iteration number), and (2) my vault did not automatically open (so, maybe, LastPass has fixed the automatic vault-open problem).

My additional information and thoughts are below.

On September 15, 2020, the annoying master password change reminder notice had begun appearing every time I logged on to LastPass on my Google Chrome LastPass extension.

Each time I logged on with my current LastPass master password,  I carefully avoided selecting [CHANGE NOW], which was the default selection.

I did not want to take any chance of being somehow forced to change my current strong LastPass master password.

Fortunately, this forum topic has stated that if I select [CHANGE NOW] by mistake I can still cancel the master password change process.  

I have not tried to test this. I would appreciate a reply by anyone who has tested this and has successfully canceled and what the person did to cancel.

In this forum topic, I was told that I could stop the reminder from appearing by changing my vault iteration number (which LastPass had set at default value of 100100).

So, on September 22 , 2020, I logged in on my Google Chrome LastPass extension with my current LastPass master password.

I wanted to change my iteration number from 100100 to 100101 as a test.

In order for LastPass to perform the iteration I had to enter my current LastPass master password again in a special entry window as part of the iteration change process.  The entry window is too short to show all of a long master password. It would be helpful if LastPass made the window longer.

I changed my iteration number from 100100 to 100101 successfully.

My vault encrypted immediately.

I logged out and successfully logged in again with my Google Chrome extension and my current LastPass Master password. The reminder notice did not appear, but when I logged in my vault automatically opened. This automatic opening was an unexpected and unwanted surprise. (It has now stopped. See above.)

The iteration number change did not change my current master password.

However, my vault now contains the following Master Password notice: “You last changed your LastPass master password on September 22, 2020 at 7:43 p.m.”

This is incorrect. All I did on September 22, 2020 at 7:43 p.m. was to change my iteration number. That is, unless LastPass somehow “changed” my master password to a new master password that exactly the same.

I ask LastPass to please provide an explanation for this.

James1964

Highlighted
New Contributor

To David768

My apologies for my typo at the beginning of my first reply. I have a premium LastPass account, not a "premier" LastPass account. 

James1964

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

As I explained previously, password iteration changes show up as a master password change even though the master password remains the same. This is what makes your master password change reminder message go away.