cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
EsquerHeights
New Contributor

Re: Important information about changes to LastPass Free

We’re making changes to how Free users access LastPass across device types. LastPass offers access across two device types – computers (including all browsers running on desktops and laptops) or mobile devices (including mobile phones, smartwatches, and tablets). Starting March 16th, 2021, LastPass Free will only include access on unlimited devices of one type.    

To further clarify what we mean by active device type, we’ve included two examples below: 

• Sarah is a Free user with Computers as her active device type. She can use LastPass on her laptop, desktop and her dad’s laptop (anyone’s computer!), but she can’t use LastPass on her phone, tablet, or smart watch unless she upgrades to LastPass Premium, which has unlimited device type access. 
  • Steve is a Free user with Mobile Devices as his active device type. He can use LastPass on his iPhone, Android work phone, tablet, and smart watch, but he can’t use LastPass on his desktop or laptop unless he upgrades to LastPass Premium, which has unlimited device type access. 

As a Free user, your first login on or after March 16th will set your active device type. You’ll have three opportunities to switch your active device type to explore what’s right for you. Please note, that all of your devices sync automatically, so you’ll never lose access to anything stored in your vault or be locked out of your account, regardless of whether you use computer or mobile devices to access LastPass.

Byebyelostpass
New Contributor

Congralutions lastpass on getting ready for the museum. Goodbye!
OttToyBoy
New Contributor

I just wanted to chime in.

Lastpass will now be losing both me and my wife as users.

While I'm willing to pay for your service, how on earth is $66/yr (Canadian) for a family plan a reasonable price for a password keeper?

That's ridiculous.  I wouldn't have been overly happy paying $10/yr but I would have paid that to save the pain of migrating to another platform.  In fact, when Lastpass was a reasonable price, I DID pay.  I only reverted back to the free version when the price doubled.

The good news (for me, not you) is that you've prompted me to review and test your competitors.

As many others, I will be moving to Bitwarden.  I'll probably even pay their more reasonable $10/yr for the premium account option.

Thanks for your service to-date  but your poor business decision has lost another customer...

Peter.

Just-A-Customer
Active Contributor

Re: Why is LastPass Free changing to One Device Type only?

> So they took a decision to force that hand and assume that some would move to Mobile or Desktop, a lot would leave and some would upgrade. It's basically a pure positive, you loose Free users and you gain Premium users.

This would be true ONLY if they do not rely on word-of-mouth and refer-a-friend as part of their customer acquisition plan. When 10% or more of your user base leaves (for any one specific reason) it generates enough negative goodwill (as in bad reviews, complaints in meetings) that other people remember only that someone they know hates LastPass. We're all humans (mostly!) and are wired to more likely remember negatives than positives.
Just-A-Customer
Active Contributor

> The worst thing is I got my parents, grandparents, co-workers, etc. to use LastPass…

I feel your pain. I got my family on LastPass as well. I only share a few things with my parents and vice versa, but it will be a pain to help them switch while we're in the COVID times. It'll be worth it, though, to so that we're all still using one utility instead of two.
Anon112585
Active Contributor

You'll be amazed at how easy it is to switch to bitwarden (don't know about others)

Export lastpass database.

Import into bitwarden.

Done.

I'd suggest using a free remote control program such as teamviewer or "remote utilities" so you don't have to visit each site/person/computer.

bitwardenisgr8
Active Contributor

Re: Why is LastPass Free changing to One Device Type only?

@Just-A-Customerit is not just bad reviews customers are leaving.

The press have gone to town on Lastpass and a lot of them recommending BitWarden. Google Google News for Lastpass

I just cannot get over how much more responsive Chrome is without LastPass, because I have used the LP extension for so long, I never realised it was Lastpass that made it sluggish.

DebbieKat
New Contributor

I've been a free user for years now. I JUST convinced my luddite husband to sign up for your free service and this policy gets introduced. I wouldn't mind paying for this service but you are asking too much money to be able to use a desktop and a phone. The attraction of the app in the first place was being able to use anywhere. I'll be looking elsewhere and likely taking my husband's account with me...

Travler69
New Contributor

is 25% discount available to UK users?

When I try to upgrade to Families from free I get charged the full rate, is there a code or link that needs to be used?

Thanks

Tags (3)
RachelO
LogMeIn Contributor

Hi @Travler69,

Do you see the correct discount when using this link for 25% off your first year of LastPass Families?

http://www.lastpass.com/buy-families?cp=LPF2021-DT-25CS

If you do not see the correct discount, so that our team can be sure to get you the correct pricing please click the Contact Support link at the bottom of this page to create a support ticket: https://support.logmeininc.com/lastpass/help/how-do-i-upgrade-to-lastpass-premium

RachelO is a member of the LogMeIn Community Care Team.

Was your question answered? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution.
Was a post helpful or informative? Give it a Kudos!