cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
paulsiu
Frequent Contributor

Re: Important information about changes to LastPass Free

When lastpass was purchased by LogMein back in 2015, I was wondering when they would start killing the free part. Instead the price kept going up, but since only the free portion was used, the effect was limited.

I understand their rationale. They need to make money. The problem is that they are way more expensive than their competitor for roughly the same feature set. This is probably goodbye then. Been a good few years. Thanks for all the fish.

Paul

GrahamD
New Contributor

I'd like to know the same thing - running the Android app on ChromeOS.
golfinho63
Active Contributor

Ok, thanks a lot to let me know about Bitwarden.
I will do the same as you. 
(as many others users of LP suggest).
It was nice, but a change in time and cheaper can be much more attractive.
Good by LastPass!

rdriver95
New Contributor

This decision is infuriating. Don't act like you're doing everyone a favor by letting us have LastPass Free on unlimited computers or unlimited phones. You know that the vast majority of LastPass Free members have it on one phone and one computer, and don't need any more than that. You're not helping anyone, you're either severely inconveniencing them or you're taking their money.

This thread's replies indicate that Bitwarden is a good alternative to LastPass. I'm going to look into that. I'm definitely not paying for a company that pulls such a jerk move and tries to couch it as a benefit.

I've also noticed LastPass hasn't updated their "Pricing by Plan" webpage with this new information. I hope they update it soon, or they're deceiving everyone who starts a new LastPass Free account. I can't imagine anyone would want to join after LastPass pulls this stunt.

LastPass_User
Active Contributor

This change seems unethical to me.  The original message was "let us manage your passwords to help you be more secure - its free" and now that millions of users have trusted that message, you're trimming features back, and using your position of power as the keeper of passwords as a lever to force those users into buying new service offerings.  This is more akin to a ransomware attack than a legitimate business model - you've got my passwords, and in many cases you've changed them to random character sequences and now you want money to let me access them.  Even if this move is legal, its questionable ethics.  Please explain why you think its ok to trap existing users this way, harvesting their passwords, putting yourself at the center of their digital life, then changing the terms of service to force the purchase of whatever you deem necessary.  Please hold true to your original promise, and don't use my trust as a lever to force me into a subscription I never wanted.  I would not have used this service had I known you'd lock down features as a trap.  Be better.

paulsiu
Frequent Contributor

OK, it took me like 15 minutes to mover over.
1. Log into last pass.
2. export the vault.
3. create a bitwarden account.
4. log into bitwarden site, and import the vault.

One issue I have notice is that bitwarden do not auto-fill the password. You have to press the bitwarden icon to do it. This is actually the safer option and prevent some site from spoofing the password manager, but I am pretty sure I will get calls from mom about this (the last pass account is not mine but for my mom).

One bonus is that the totp integration that a lot of people ask for is available for the premium if you want to. This is something that last pass offer for their enterprise but have not yet move to the consumer last pass. This in my opinion is a bad move on Logmein's part. If they are going to start charging, you should make sure you don't look bad compare to a competitor.

Another bonus is that yubikey support (also a premium option) uses U2F. You can use the cheaper $24 yubikey security key instead of the $50 yubikey 5. U2f is more secure and is more phishing resistant. I an really surprised that last pass hasn't been updated to use u2f.
LastPass_User
Active Contributor

How is the March 16th Change different from ransomware?

Here's a recap: LastPass said "give me your passwords, I'll help you be secure", so I have provided my passwords... LastPass will change your passwords to make you more secure... now LastPass is demanding money to let me access my passwords.  Sounds like social engineering to harvest passwords and a slow implementation of ransomware to me.  Explain the difference LastPass, seriously. 

chickenpanda
Active Contributor

OK, it took me like 15 minutes to mover over.
1. Log into last pass.
2. export the vault.
3. create a bitwarden account.
4. log into bitwarden site, and import the vault.

My experience was super easy too.   I already uninstalled LP from Chrome and Android.    I went ahead and signed up for the $10/year Bitwarden Premium.   Very reasonable.

Cleroth
Active Contributor

One issue I have notice is that bitwarden do not auto-fill the password

It does, but you have to enable it in the settings.

mmann001417
Active Contributor

Discount on Multiple Device Initial Sign Up

We have two separate LastPass Free accounts and were notified this morning that Multiple Devices were changing over to a Paid requirement, and that a Discount was  offered to sign up.  We would like to take advantage of this Discount offer for our two current accounts, unfortunately when we returned in a matter of 1 hour we were unable to bring the Offer up again to sign up. Please advise how we can accomplish this with the offered Discount..

Thank you!