cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Active Contributor

LastPass won't close when browser shuts down

I noticed that LastPass will not close when I shut down my browser.  When I reopen google chrome, LastPass is automatically on without  requiring my master password. This seems like a security issue and wondered how to fix it.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Active Contributor

Re: LastPass won't close when browser shuts down

Morning RachelO/jpenny84,

I believe we have a winner. After verifying the changes on LastPass, I went to Chrome and unchecked "Continue running background apps when Google Chrome is closed." LastPass now closes when Chrome is closed. Thanks to all for your assistance & ideas.

djfro

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted
New Contributor

I have the same problem with the Safari browser on my Mac.  This makes LP kind of useless

Highlighted
LogMeIn Contributor

Hello @djfro,

Could you check your Automatic Log Out setting within your LastPass web browser extension Preferences? This setting will keep you logged in, or you can choose to have it automatically log out of your LastPass account when the browser is no longer in use and/or idle. Here's an article that details how manage this setting:

https://support.logmeininc.com/lastpass/help/manage-automatic-log-out

RachelO is a member of the LogMeIn Community Care Team.

Was your question answered? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution.
Was a post helpful or informative? Give it a Kudos!
Highlighted
Active Contributor

Hi RachelO,

Thanks for the info. I've always checked the "log out when all browsers are closed" since I've been using LastPass and everything worked fine. A month or so ago, this method suddenly stopped working. Although the box was checked, LastPass stayed active and was open the next time I opened my browser. At this point, the only way I can close LastPass is to physically log out. At times, I forget to do this and it poses a rather large security problem.

Highlighted
LogMeIn Contributor

Thanks for the information. To be sure the settings are all correct, could you check that your settings are correct in both Account Settings (on the Vault page, in the lower left corner) and in Account Options, accessible from the LastPass icon on the browser menu bar (red square with 3 dots)and checking that "Log out when all browsers are closed" in the General/Security section is selected.

If you are using Chrome as your browser, please also go into Chrome's settings and then Settings > On Startup > Advanced > System and uncheck "Continue running background apps when Google Chrome is closed."

RachelO is a member of the LogMeIn Community Care Team.

Was your question answered? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution.
Was a post helpful or informative? Give it a Kudos!
Highlighted
New Contributor

Hello RachelO

When you say to be sure settings are all correct in Account Settings on the Vault page, be aware there are a lot of things there and how do I know what to check?  Under account settings there is General, Multifactor Options, Trusted Devices, Mobile Devices, Never URLs, Equivalent Domains, and URL rules.  So just what do I check and what do I set what to?

You also talked about Account Options , accessible from the LastPass icon on the browser menu bar (red square with 3 dots).   My square is grey not red.  Is this important?

Best,
David
Highlighted
Regular Contributor

A gray LastPass browser toolbar icon could mean that you are not logged in. You'll get a dropdown menu if you are signed in. 

Once you verify that you are logged in with the extension then click the LastPass icon in your browser, and navigate in that menu to Account Options > Extension Preferences. Verify that the security settings you want are configured.

The next thing to verify is that your browser is not set to stay running even if there are no windows open. Enter chrome://settings in you URL bar, and go to that page. Using the search field at the top, search for "System." The setting you will want to disable is listed in the attached image.

Screenshot 2020-09-23 162153.jpg

Highlighted
New Contributor

Sorry I am confused.  You say a gray Last Pass browser toolbar icon could mean that you are not logged in.  I don't know I I am logged in or not but LP displays my passwords when I have not inserted the Master Password.  I don't know if I am logged in or not.  I only know my login names and passwords are on display for all to see without inserting the Master PW

I don't know what you mean to verify the browser is not set to stay running even if there are no windows open.  You say to go to chrome://settings.  I am using Safari so I don't know what good it does to go to chrome settings.  Further when the Safari browser is SHUT DOWN it does not run.  I don't just minimize or close the display.  It is SHUT down by right clicking on the Safari browser in the dock and choosing quit.

Thank you.

Thank you

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

You are referencing Safari not Google Chrome. That browser uses different icon colors. Click t he LastPass icon in your browser, and then navigate to Account Settings > Extension Preferences. If you are not logged in, you will get a login window instead of the dropdown menu.

Highlighted
New Contributor

Let me understand.  Are you saying I must log off from my LastPass  before I quit the browser in order for LP to not show my passwords when the browser is opened.  So then to finish growing it is a two step process.  First log off from LP. Then quit the browser.  Yes or no?