cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
New Contributor

STOP TRACKING MY IP AND LOCATION

STOP TRACKING MY IP AND LOCATION THIS IS RIDICULOUS I DON'T WANT THIS FEATURE, DIDN'T ASK FOR IT, AND IT INTERFERES WITH THE STEPS I TAKE TO MAINTAIN AND PROTECT MY OWN SECURITY.

(edited by admin due to content 9/11/20)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Re: STOP TRACKING MY IP AND LOCATION

13 REPLIES 13
Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Highlighted
New Contributor

That's awesome, and exactly how it should be! I raged against the machine because I was under the impression I would have to convince the powers that be of my opinion. I never would have thought that there would already be a setting available.

Thanks for the link! I also found several other settings that I want to fiddle with.
Highlighted
New Contributor

While on this topic I'm wondering how LastPass sends data back and forth to make sure it's not compromised.

Stupid question but let's say I was at an Internet cafe and using Lastpass and USING a VPN that logs my data would that make my password info potentially able to be seen by a third party?

Getting paranoid here as I use LastPass for all my financial stuff and I've been reading about logging policies of a lot of VPN companies and it's pretty scary. Here is a pretty big list - https://privacyaustralia.net/vpn-logs-revealed/

I know you guys talk about it here - https://lastpass.com/support.php?cmd=showfaq&id=6926

But just wondering is it safe to use a VPN with my password protector?
Highlighted
New Contributor

It's quite safe.
All your passwords are encrypted by your master passwords before saving or sending.
All data transfer between you and LastPass servers are further encrypted in transport using TLS / HTTPS.

Even if your VPN provider is logging all your traffic, they can only see that you're connecting to LastPass and made some requests, but can't see any actual data (payload), because it's all encrypted.
Highlighted
Regular Contributor

All encryption is performed client side. Even if the VPN provider was using a certificate authority to inspect SSL traffic, they would just see encrypted data being transmitted.
Highlighted
New Contributor

All your private information is protected.
Highlighted
New Contributor

"FlyingHawk" wrote:
It's quite safe.
All your passwords are encrypted by your master passwords before saving or sending.
All data transfer between you and LastPass servers are further encrypted in transport using TLS / HTTPS.

Even if your VPN provider is logging all your traffic, they can only see that you're connecting to LastPass and made some requests, but can't see any actual data (payload), because it's all encrypted.

Agree with you!
Highlighted
New Contributor

It seems this is occurring again. I tried to access LastPass on their extension in Firefox & it's a big NO unless I give them access permission to track visited URLs. Not gonna do that. Not happy about this recent development after using it for over a year.
Highlighted
New Contributor

Most of the users have noticed and highlighted the ‘History’ feature by saying that, we don’t want LastPass to track our IP address and Geo-location. However, there is an option to ‘disable history logging’ but I’m not sure how effective it is.

One more thing to solve this problem and that is by using a VPN connection but I’m again not sure how it will work?

Suppose you opt for a dedicated IP address and connect it before logging into the LastPass account It will ask you to verify yourself but only for the first time because this IP address is not in your history of LastPass.

But when you’re going log-in into your LastPass account using the same dedicated VPN connection it allows you to access your LastPass account without asking any verification because this time your IP address is already existing in the history of LastPass.