cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
New Contributor

macOS Big Sur/Safari 14.0.1 Official Support?

Hello!

I've been a LastPass user for many years and just got a new MacBook running Apple's new M1 SoC. I'm new to Macs, so apologies for any ignorance, but I've noticed two things that I'm hoping I can get answered here:

1. The LastPass macOS app currently runs on Rosetta. Is there an estimated timeline for when LastPass will run natively on Apple Silicon? 

2. Likely related to the first question, it appears that the LastPass extension for Safari on Apple Silicon running Big Sur (macOS 11.0) isn't working for me. The LastPass desktop app installed and runs, but the Safari extension is missing and I haven't been able to get the extension to appear to enable in Safari's extension settings.

Any help with getting the extension to work would be greatly appreciated! That's the problem now, but knowing when LastPass will be fully supported on Apple's new platform would also  be helpful 🙂

Cheers,

Johnathan 

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
LogMeIn Contributor

Re: macOS Big Sur/Safari 14.0.1 Official Support?

Hello,

Our developers are currently working on an update for LastPass for macOS 11.0 Big Sur, but we do not currently have an ETA or any specific date for a this release or for native Apple Silicon support. The LastPass release notes page will be updated with more news as updates are released: https://lastpass.com/misc_releasenotes.php

Could you try uninstalling your current install of the LastPass Mac App (as well as the Safari extension), emptying trash, restarting your machine, and then reinstalling using the latest version here: https://lastpass.com/download to see if that works?

Just to be sure, here are the steps to be sure the extension is installed and enabled in Safari: https://support.logmeininc.com/lastpass/help/how-do-i-install-the-safari-app-extension-on-my-mac-lp0...

RachelO is a member of the LogMeIn Community Care Team.

Was your question answered? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution.
Was a post helpful or informative? Give it a Kudos!
Highlighted
New Contributor

Good afternoon RachelO,

Thanks for answering what you could with the update for Big Sur - I'll be looking forward for the native support for Apple Silicon! 

In regards to the app/extension, your suggestion worked! I had previously uninstalled and emptied the trash, but I had not also restarted the computer as a part of that troubleshooting - it looks like the reboot was needed to fix it. 

One other question, this time when I installed the app (I used the link for Last Pass for Safari (4.60.0) on the download page you provided) and this time the app asked for access to input monitoring for full keystroke access. Is this explicitly needed for the Safari extension? I don't expect to be using LastPass outside of Safari or another browser, so I'd prefer not to grant that access as possible.

Thanks!

Johnathan 

Highlighted
LogMeIn Contributor

Great, thanks for letting me know that it worked after taking those steps. 

When you install the LastPass Mac app, you may be prompted with the message to allow or deny the LastPass.app to receive keystrokes from any application. This permission is for utilizing the global search functionality (Quick Search) for LastPass on your Mac. If you choose to click Deny on the prompt, you will not be able to use the global search functionality for LastPass, but you can still search for items within your Vault via the LastPass Mac app.

For more information please see here: https://support.logmeininc.com/lastpass/help/why-do-i-nbsp-see-a-message-that-lastpassapp-would-like...

RachelO is a member of the LogMeIn Community Care Team.

Was your question answered? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution.
Was a post helpful or informative? Give it a Kudos!
Highlighted
New Contributor

I suspect the reason that uninstalling and reinstalling (using version downloaded from your site) fixed things is that the version available on your site works (installs Safari extension)...while the version available via the Mac App Store does not install the Safari extension. This is ironic, because the LastPass app is in the "safari extensions" section of the App Store (literally the fourth "favorite" extension listed in that section of the store).

So, to avoid giving users a lot of headaches, LastPass should probably update/fix the version being distributed via the App Store. 

(As a side note, I am not on Big Sur yet or Apple Silicon; the above finding is with Safari 14.0.1 on latest build of Catalina - 10.15.7 (19H15) on an Intel Mac about a year old.)

Highlighted
New Contributor

This is disappointing.  Big Sur Beta must have been available in enough time to determine modifications required by LastPass.  This leaves us Apple users without benefits of Big Sur waiting on modifications to LastPass.