cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
New Contributor

password recovery sms not working

Hi
Forgot master password was following the recovery process I have been getting errors that the sms provider is not available or working
Now I am getting I have tried too many times and to try again later (how much later?)

I have work to do and this is keeping me from being able to login I have purchased a subscription and really need to get my passwords
why is this such a problem.
program works ok but the recovery process needs to be better
16 REPLIES 16
Highlighted
New Contributor

Re: password recovery sms not working

I am having a similar problem.

LastPass will not send an SMS to my number.

I have two numbers. One is a Google Voice number, the other is a Republic Wireless number.

LastPass will not send SMS to these numbers, and hence I cannot set up a recovery via SMS option.

This is not good. The error message is: "Sorry, our SMS provider is currently unable to send SMS messages to....."

Does anyone know how to make this work?
Highlighted
New Contributor

Same here. Can't recover my master password, SMS provider is unable to send SMS messages. Please fix this!
Highlighted
New Contributor

Same here. Can't recover master password, "SMS provider unable to send SMS messages..." Please fix this!
Highlighted
New Contributor

It should work now. Go ahead and repeat recovery procedure.
Highlighted
New Contributor

Thanks dulemcseLP...yes, it does work now.

What was the issue, if I may ask?

Can we rely on this feature from now on, or might it be intermittent at some times?

Thanks very much.

KEW
Highlighted
New Contributor

"KEW" wrote:

I have two numbers. One is a Google [url=https://www.mangazuki.online/perfect-half/:23qxdz8x]perfect half[/url:23qxdz8x] Voice number, the other is a Republic Wireless number.

LastPass will not send SMS to these numbers, and hence I cannot set up a recovery via SMS option.

This is not good. The error message is: "Sorry, our SMS provider is currently unable to send SMS messages to....."

To use SMS recovery, you must have access to a computer and browser where you have previously used LastPass. LastPass generates and stores a recovery one-time password (rOTP) on your computer when you log in the first time on a new computer/browser. This rOTP essentially works like a second master password and is only stored locally on your computer, but is disabled until you request account recovery. The recovery SMS just activates the rOTP, allowing you to access and decrypt your vault using it, after which you can reencrypt it using a new master password of your choice (the rOTP is disabled permanently after being used once).

Without access to a computer where you have previously used LastPass, SMS recovery won't work. This means that any hackers or LastPass employees that want to use it to access your vault would first have to get access to a computer where you previously logged into LastPass, and where you haven't taken steps to delete any traces it left behind.
Highlighted
New Contributor

I was forced by Lastpass to change my password at an inconvenient time. Now I don't know it and SMS recovery is not working for me. What do I need to do?
Highlighted
Regular Contributor

"ricwash249" wrote:
I was forced by Lastpass to change my password at an inconvenient time. Now I don't know it and SMS recovery is not working for me. What do I need to do?

If you remember the old password, try reverting your account and attempt the change again.

https://support.logmeininc.com/lastpass ... ldPassword
Highlighted
New Contributor

"KEW" wrote:

I have two numbers. One is a Google Voice number, the other is a Republic Wireless number.

I have a vague memory of Republic wireless. Years ago when I used republic I discovered that they gave customers 2 phone numbers. One was the 'network' phone number of the phone, which could be found in the phone's settings, and one that was the number I had ported when I signed up, I actually used, gave people, ect. Contact Republic support forum for more on this and if it is still true. You may be able to use the 'network' phone number to get sms messages. It could work. Sorry if this was incorrect or ends up making the situation worse.

A bank I use offers Viber messaging. It will not send an SMS to my Google Fi phone number, but will send messages to my number with Viber for some reason. Maybe LastPass could set up Viber messaging.