cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TimMunro
New Contributor

Re: AutoCad authentication conflict with Logmein

Has this been solved? I understand Autodesk has provided a workaround, but we need a solution. 

Does anyone know what is causing the issues? I know, the LMI display adapter prevents the login screen from appearing. But what caused this? A Windows update? LMI update? Autodesk update?

Out of about 20 computers in the office, there are some that still experience the issue. The same computer model that one person uses does not experience this problem anymore while another still does, and both are fully updated. 

I have been working with Autodesk on solving this issue for almost a year. It seems each computer randomly works the problem out on its own.

Recently, I spoke with tier 1 support who escalated me to tier 2 support who have not answered my e mails. That was 3 weeks ago. Also, tier 2 apparently do not have phones.

etb
Active Contributor

@TimMunro did Autodesk share with you some workaround that is different from what I posted on 9/24/20 regarding using the Autodesk Desktop App?  If so, please share.

My experience is that this issue only seems to occur the 1st time that an Autodesk product is activated for a new user.  It might be limited to just when a new computer is deployed - I can't remember.  After the initial activation, it seems to work normally *fingers crossed* thereafter for that user.  We don't deploy new computers (or new users) all that frequently, so I haven't tested it exhaustively.

This issue has been in existence for a long time.  As you may know, Autodesk licenses used to be activated with a serial number.  I don't specifically recall, but I'll guess that this issue has existed ever since Autodesk licenses were switched over to named users.

TimMunro
New Contributor

@etb No, nothing really new to share on that front. Talking with Autodesk most recently, they said that the problem resides solely with LMI and they could not do anything more. Autodesk provided info on how to reset the licensing by deleting folders and files and to log into the desktop app, as we all have tried. Of course we can always log into the affected computer in person, disable the LMI services and sign into the users Autodesk account that way.

Talking with our 3rd party Autodesk reps, they noticed a connection between the LMI services and display adapter, Windows updates, and the Autodesk Single Sign On component. My company is fairly new to single sign on (named) licenses. We used multi-user license files prior to a year ago when Autodesk transitioned away from multi-user license support, had no problems before the switch. I believe after Windows update 1904 is when we started seeing issues with single sign on licenses. 

The issues I am seeing are for users new and old. I have one user who has to sign into their account at least once a week, which is another issue that we are working through to find a solution. Autodesk products do not require users to sign in very often, unless there are problems. So again, back to the deletion of ADSSO other license related files and folders in an attempt to fix this issue. Some of us have never had this issue and I cannot locate differences/similarities between any two computers as it relates to this problem.

With all that being said, I found my own way to work around the issue while working remote. As we know, the problem occurs for users logged into their computer remotely through LMI. Other remote desktop apps could be used to log into the affected machine and sign in to the Autodesk product. But these cost money. What I do is log in remotely to my work computer through LMI. Then on my work computer, I use Microsoft Remote Desktop to access the affected machine, stop LMI services and log into the users Autodesk account. I then restart the LMI services and have the user log in as usual. This does involve a certain level of trust though. The user either has to trust me with their log in credentials, both for their computer and Autodesk, or it is understood that these will be reset at their next login. Microsoft Remote Desktop is free and built into Windows 10 Pro (not sure about other versions). 

Hopefully this helps someone while LMI and Autodesk figure out a solution instead of workarounds. 

randallcorn
Active Contributor

Well a couple of years later and still nobody willing to fix this issue.

What I have found now is when you login to AutoCad do NOT login to AutoCad itself.  Login to the AutoDesk Desktop app.  This will authenticate and then you can login to AutoCad.  Works for AutoCad 2019 and newer at least.

Andy-TS
New Contributor

Wrong account

TimMunro
New Contributor

@randallcorn to update my experience, we haven't seen an issue with the single sign on component in a little while. There is one workstation that gives an error when attempting to open the Desktop App and does not allow it to be opened. This computer is/was negligently out of date and is currently being monitored.

What I am seeing most often now is Autodesk products randomly shutting down on their own. All the research I have done points yet again to the LMI display drivers. The difference here is that it doesn't matter if a user is logged in to their host computer remotely or in person. Just the presence of the LMI display adapter/drivers is causing Autodesk products (Revit and AutoCAD, all versions) to close either upon computer or monitor wake-up. Once logged back in to the computer, all Autodesk products that were open have closed with the option to send an error report to Autodesk. It is random and can occur immediately after a computer or monitor sleeps and wakes up, after the monitor or computer have been in their sleep state over night, or doesn't happen at all. My current solution is to save/synchronize often and especially prior to leaving for an extended amount of time.

I was logged in with the wrong account, oops.

etb
Active Contributor

[Fingers crossed] we haven't seen issues with Autodesk products crashing. 

I do recall from probably at least  couple years ago that the LMI "blank screen" functionality would mess with Autodesk products.  I think it would give a repetitive error message when launching the Autodesk product (at least AutoCAD) until AutoCAD eventually terminated.  But just switching off the "blank screen" option would get around that.  It's a pain, and it's perhaps not super secure, but we just power our monitors off when we're not physically in the office.   Since your issues with Autodesk products crashing seems to occur even when you're not in a remote session, maybe "blank screen" isn't the problem, but it might be worth a shot testing anyway.