cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Official_Dalek
New Contributor

Hamachi Network in Gateway Mode is Giving Gateway an APIPA Address

As the title says, trying to run a Hamachi network setup in Gateway mode. The computer that I have designated as the gateway, however, is getting an APIPA address (169.254.x.x). In truth I'm not entirely sure how this system is intended to work, so I'm not sure if its the fault of my DHCP server on my router or if it's a fault on Hamachi's side.

I have even manually set the IP range in the gateway settings on hamachi to match that of my home network's IP range (though higher so that there's no ip conflics, i.e. 192.168.0.200-255).

Because of this none of the client computers on the network can access anything on the gateway's network. Anybody run into this issue before or know what's going wrong?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Official_Dalek
New Contributor

Re: Hamachi Network in Gateway Mode is Giving Gateway an APIPA Address

Just figured it out, for anyone else who has this issue in the future. Not entirely sure why this was the case, but it seems that Hamachi didn't automatically bridge the Hamachi network adapter to my network connection (in this case ethernet). From guides and others experiences it had seemed that this would be automatic. Maybe it is for most, but if that's the case I'm not sure why it didn't do that for me. Possibly I have another network adapter that threw it off? Not sure. All I had to do was go into the adapter settings, go to the Hamachi Bridge adapter, and manually select my Ethernet adapter to bridge to the Hamachi adapter.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Official_Dalek
New Contributor

Just figured it out, for anyone else who has this issue in the future. Not entirely sure why this was the case, but it seems that Hamachi didn't automatically bridge the Hamachi network adapter to my network connection (in this case ethernet). From guides and others experiences it had seemed that this would be automatic. Maybe it is for most, but if that's the case I'm not sure why it didn't do that for me. Possibly I have another network adapter that threw it off? Not sure. All I had to do was go into the adapter settings, go to the Hamachi Bridge adapter, and manually select my Ethernet adapter to bridge to the Hamachi adapter.

GaborO
GoTo Contributor

Hi Official_Dalek,

Hamachi should configure the Network bridge automatically, but there is a bug (a timing issue) in the live version. The bug is already fixed, but we still have to run it through the QA cycle before the release.

With the live version the workaround is to create the bridge manually as you described.

Note: Hamachi creates the bridge between the "Hamachi - xxx" adapter and the physical one the computer is accessing the Hamachi servers by default. It can also be changed in the override config for those special cases where the selection of the physical adapter this way is not appropriate. So the number of the network adapters should not confuse the algorithm.

LuisGTO

Hi,

I'm a GoTo Colaborator and I had a customer running into this issue: "Cannot establish a hamachi gateway. Have tried three different computers on the domain. After adding the client, I have gone into adapter settings and bridged the ethernet port to the Network Bridge which is also bridged to the Hamachi-XXX-XXX device. I always get a gray bar in the hamachi console and if I try to enable it I get 'hamachi is not allowed to function as a gateway on this machine'. If I configure it as a hub/spoke networks, it works without issue, but that is not what I need.  Do you have any clue on what could be causing this issue? Or have you seen this before? Any suggestions would be highly appreciated!

GaborO
GoTo Contributor

Hi @LuisGTO,

In Windows domain environment workstation computers are not allowed to function as a gateway client. This is kind of a "security" related restriction.

You need to try on a workstation which is not in domain or on a server computer.