Remote Control: Please allow the ESC keypress to be sent to the remote side rather than stop control

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Make sure you Kudo Ideas you would like to see implemented

Remote Control: Please allow the ESC keypress to be sent to the remote side rather than stop control

[New Goto App] Please add an alternate keypress to cancel a remote control.  I don't even know why we need to cancel it!  But if you really think this is needed, I beg that you provide an option to set a different shortcut-key for this - so that the ESC keypress is passed to the remote session.

For me, it means that I struggle to use the Linux Text editor (vi) as it uses the ESC key to exit an edit mode.

But I see from other reports that it is used in many other scenarios.

A general shortcut-key mapper system that allows users to alter any of the short-cut keys that would apply during a remote-control session would be even better!

8 Comments
Oozle333
Active Contributor

I totally agree!! I need remote control and need the ability to use the Escape Key! I can't believe how hard you make it. I'm checking out alternatives to GoTo - Any other programs I should consider?

And while I'm complaining, anyone else find that the scroll bar on the mouse works backwards when using Remote Control?

GlennD
GoTo Manager

Hi , please note that GoToMeeting is not designed as a remote support tool, the remote control feature is for basic collaboration during a meeting. I would recommend looking at GoTo Resolve if you need a remote support tool. 

Oozle333
Active Contributor

Hi Glen

Thank you for your supportive (sarcasm!) response. I use the product to train users on specific software applications on their system. We share the screen and both use the mouse. Your NEW product does not meet these needs. Go To Resolve doesn't allow you to schedule meetings, send calendar invitations to several users allow recordings, track past meetings, create recurring meetings, etc. So your suggestion lets me know that you don't have a good understanding of your users - what a shame.

If you know of a better solution, I'm all ears. But it makes no sense that you take AWAY functionality to look new and exciting.

I've had GoToMeeting for over 10 years. I was a supporter of your product. But you have made it UNUSABLE!

GlennD
GoTo Manager

@Oozle333 Unfortunately, your initial comment did not include any of that information.    

Oozle333
Active Contributor

So I guess what you are suggesting is that I do more research on alternative company applications.

You don't seem interested in my business and keeping me as a customer. Is that attitude common with everyone in your company or just you?

mbeedell
Active Contributor

@Oozle333 I would recommend Zoom or Teams.  I have nearly stopped using goto because of this one issue.  Though there are other grumbles with goto(meeting) - both old and new.  But I'm sure these are captured in other community tickets. It used to be pretty good, even with the minor niggles. But now it takes 3rd place over Zoom and Teams.  

@David11226 I'm not sure what you are apologizing for! Did you delete a previous response?

pronasit

I completely agree! I require remote control functionality with the ability to use the Escape key. It's frustrating how challenging this seems to be. I'm currently exploring alternatives to GoTo. Are there any other programs you'd recommend?

On a related note, has anyone else noticed that the mouse scroll bar behaves differently, perhaps inversely, when using remote control?

KateG
GoTo Moderator
Status changed to: Reviewed by moderator