Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Make sure you Kudo Ideas you would like to see implemented

Closed Caption ADA accessibility with video playing

0 Kudos

Closed Caption ADA accessibility with video playing

Recently, there has been a switch with the ability to play videos that include sound when using YouTube directly. What we appreciate about YouTube in training is that it has closed captioning, which assists people who may be hearing impaired and/or deaf. By only having audio option through uploading directly onto the GoToWebinar platform, we no longer have access to the closed captioning. Accessibility for people with disabilities is vital, and the law, according the the American's with Disabilities Act. It's also critical, especially when we consider teaching and teaching a wide audience who may require additional accommodations under this law. I'm requesting that this is an immediate and pressing need to resolve so that people with disabilities can access the same material, in the same format and structure as those without disabilities.

Thank you,

9 Comments
namrata
Active Contributor

My audience is from various parts of the world and speakers are from english speaking countries..can gotowebinar give transcripts when the speaker is speaking during the webinar for audience to have clarity

GlennD
GoTo Manager

Hi,

GoToWebinar does not have this ability, though you can create pre-assigned scripts fro live closed captioning in certain programs like PowerPoint and Google Slides: 

https://support.goto.com/webinar/help/use-google-slides-or-microsoft-powerpoint-for-closed-nbsp-capt...

There is not a way to send different subtitles to different audience members either, I'm afraid.

namrata
Active Contributor
that is sad. it should be taken as an idea then...
AshC
Retired GoTo Contributor

@MDeHaven

While we do not yet have the ability to include closed captioning with live GoTo broadcasts, you can set up transcriptions for your recorded webinars afterwards:

https://support.goto.com/webinar/help/transcribe-videos-on-gotostage

MDeHaven

This is not for the entire broadcast. In those cases, we can have someone proficient in ASL to be present. This is for playing videos using the uploaded feature. YouTube, has for many videos, closed captioning, which you are unable to access if upload videos. Or the other option is to play, without sound using YouTube site directly. When doing live trainings, accessibility should include both.

AshC
Retired GoTo Contributor

@MDeHaven  Playing desktop audio through your VoIP connection is also coming soon to webinars, so you should be able to play it locally in the near future with the included video audio, from the YouTube site itself.

presidentkygs
Active Contributor

Hi All, I've been using GoToWebinar for over a decade. I prefer it over Zoom and other similar products. I tell people about it, refer my peers to it (even though most use Zoom), etc. I am a GoTo advocate.

However, it is time for closed captioning and auto translation of people speaking during a webinar. This isn't just about accommodating people who have hearing impairment, it is a civil rights issue. The Americans with Disability Act was passed in 1990 and signed into law by George H. W. Bush.

It's time for GoTo to make the necessary technology investments to make this happen. This is 2022. As an organizer and leader of a community that includes at least a couple hearing impaired people, I'm sick of having to make excuses for GoTo. 

It's time for the GoTo product engineers to sharpen their pencils, get in a GoTo Meeting together, and figure out how to **make this happen.**

Thank you for your consideration and attention to this matter.

KateG
GoTo Moderator
Status changed to: Reviewed by moderator

KateG
GoTo Moderator
Status changed to: Reviewed by moderator